[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Germanicaboo Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: Germanic_peoples_2.jpg (195KB, 512x542px) Image search: [Google]
Germanic_peoples_2.jpg
195KB, 512x542px
Thread for the history of the Germanic group of ethnicities. Saxon, Norse, Goth, doesn't matter.
Religion, kingdoms, migrations, relations, victories and defeats, influence from and on others, arms and armor, arts and crafts, ask questions and I and certainly others will answer.
>>
>>2185990
Aren't Celts Germanic?
>>
>>2186016
lol, no.

it's just krauts that are celto-scandi-slav rapebabies
>>
>>2186018
Well, the English are, like, 70% Celt.
It's just their language that's Germanic.
Or, at least, that's what I heard in some documentary.
>>
>>2186016
Celts are Celts, a separate Indo-European ethnic group

>>2186018
>>2186023
Genealogy =/= Ethnology
Germanics are defined by the various cultural attributes they used to and still do share. The language, religion, art, this is what made them Germanic long before we had any study of y haplogroups.
>>
File: John_Bauer-Tyr_and_Fenrir.jpg (89KB, 733x855px) Image search: [Google]
John_Bauer-Tyr_and_Fenrir.jpg
89KB, 733x855px
So if Tiw/Tyr are documented in both the Anglo-Saxon and Norse pantheon, why is Fenrir only in Norse? Fenrir bit off Tyr's hand, isn't he kinda necessary?
>>
File: IMAG0155.jpg (1MB, 3264x1824px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0155.jpg
1MB, 3264x1824px
I bought this knife for EDC half because the broken-back blade is reminiscent of a seax.
Does this seal the deal on my Germanibooness?
>>
>>2186049
Myths change

Shocker

For instance, Tyr was the king of the gods back in Roman times
>>
>>2186071
So Fenrir was a later development?

Was Fenrir documented in any other West or East Germanic ethnicities, Franks and Goths and such?
>>
charlie mange
>>
File: 1441924773461.jpg (39KB, 334x344px) Image search: [Google]
1441924773461.jpg
39KB, 334x344px
>>2186078
karl grosse!
>>
>>2186049
There are no surviving myths of the Anglo-Saxon gods. The names of the ones important to have weekdays named after them is just about the extent of our knowledge.

>>2186071
>For instance, Tyr was the king of the gods back in Roman times
Proofs?
>>
>>2186132
Read Tacitus.
>>2185990
I'd be hesitant about calling Germanic an ethnicity instead of just a linguistic group. It'd be like postulating a Romance ethnicity or an Indo-Iranian one. And while people do use Slav as a catch-all term, most of the time it's implied to mean only the East Slavs and maybe also the Poles. Celtic analogously usually refers to the Irish and sometimes Welsh foremost, though it does see some use as a term for all the Celtic peoples simply because how few people even speak Celtic languages today.
Am also curious why Bavarian is listed as a separate ethnicity here.
>>
>>2185990
If Lowland Scots are germanic then so will be the coast of Northern Ireland, also lowlanders colonised the east coast of the highlands.
>>
>>2186132
wayland the smith was probably a god
>>
>>2186945
Well there's various the Germanic group of ethnicities. Not that Germanic by its lonesome is an ethnicity, but that there are various ethnic groups that can trace their ethnic lineage back to the Proto-Germanics.
Take >>2186964 for instance. We call Lowlanders Germanic because they speak Scots, an Anglic Germanic language, and have their ethnic origins in the northern Anglo Saxon kingdoms like Northumbria. We don't say "well some Anglo Saxons came and might have screwed some Celtic women. Despite those offspring taking absolutely nothing from their Celtic mothers in terms of culture or identity, we'll call them Celtic because their X chromosome came from someone who spoke Gaelic."

It's like saying Indo-European isn't an ethnic group, it is, it's just more varied.
>>
>>2186968
I understood him to be just a "hero" mortal important guy.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.