[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your favourite period of history, and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 22

What is your favourite period of history, and why?
>>
Industrial Revolution.

Only reason why most of us are alive.

I don't think any of us can grasp just how routine death and disease was in everyone's daily lives. At least not until the Simian Flu kills civilization and sends us back to the stone age.
>>
>>2184751
To study? Hmmm...
As much as I love my Roman history, I do love the history of Renaissance Europe to around the end of WW1.
>>
>>2184751
1950's America. I mean living in America and being an Adult Male, Female, or even a child, had the highest standard of living in human history. Plentiful well paying jobs, the Nuclear family, no internet to corrupt youth, strong conservative values, malts and fries in the diner, comfy high schools.

>>2184770
Do like this answer though.
>>
Early Archaic Greece, like right after the dark ages when they were going around the Mediterranean founding colonies. Seems really comfy.
>>
File: Duel.jpg (417KB, 597x778px) Image search: [Google]
Duel.jpg
417KB, 597x778px
>>2184751
Medieval period into the early renaissance. The 15th and 16th centuries are especially comfy. If I had a time machine and some inexplicable immortality and invulnerabillity that would also prevent me from changing anything while allowing me to participate in some form, I'd go from the fall of Rome to the end of the 16th century.
>>
Two periods fascinate me, the medieval ages (high-late) and the classical Mayan period.
>>
>>2184789
>1950s
Wrong because within 15 years you'll have hippies and other degenerated shit. The no internet meme is a lie.
>>
I'd say early middle ages, politics and warfare weren't as complicated as late midieval/rennaisance, and I just love chainmail and surcoats
>>
>>2184751
High and Late Middle Ages and the early modern period.

That's a pretty big time span though.
>>
>>2185192
Are you me?
Except that I like ancient period as well.
>>
File: Nuraghe_reconstruction.jpg (113KB, 454x306px) Image search: [Google]
Nuraghe_reconstruction.jpg
113KB, 454x306px
>>2184751
Middle ages and ancient (expecially bronze-age and before) times.
>>
>>2185192
how the fuck did people in Europe run around without shoes without succumbing to frostbite
>>
>>2184751
I like all of European history, but specifically the early middle ages/fall of rome to the end of the Napoleonic era. Specifically my favorite is high and late middle ages, but I'd say my interest is pretty even for all
>>
The Great Game fascinates me to no end. Its fucking crazy how close Russia and Britain got to war. Many people point out today that it might have been hard for Russia to conquer India, but Britain didn't know that at the time. Besides Russia did not outright have to conquer India. The greatest fear of the British Raj was another revolt like the Indian Mutiny of 1857. The idea that Russia was planning to instigate something like this was not far fetched(and they did in fact have plans to do it).

The exploration part is also really cool. Much of North India and Central Asia was blank on the map, and fierce tribes wanted to keep it that way. Many explorers sent into these areas would die from bandits, disease, or even the armies of viziers.

At one point, it got too dangerous for Europeans to travel into these areas, even with their skin dyed. After this point pundits, Indian spies and explorers working for the crown, were used. The way in which these guys were trained is amazing and ingenious.
>>
File: stone-niggers.jpg (48KB, 620x402px) Image search: [Google]
stone-niggers.jpg
48KB, 620x402px
Upper paleolithic because i'm a huge /out/ faggot
>>
WW2 becouse its part of my history becouse im german. I remember years ago my grandma told me how babaric the russians were. They Raped here mother killed all animals and took with them want they wanted.
>>
File: 1463207947309.jpg (472KB, 911x1224px) Image search: [Google]
1463207947309.jpg
472KB, 911x1224px
>>2185394
ay I like ancient societies also
>>
>>2184789
>1950's America. I mean living in America and being an Adult Male, Female, or even a child, had the highest standard of living in human history. Plentiful well paying jobs, the Nuclear family, no internet to corrupt youth, strong conservative values, malts and fries in the diner, comfy high schools.

Nice meme, /pol/
>>
>>2185420
I'd assume they wore shoes when it was cold..
>>
>favorite time period
High medieval times England or France. (Romanticized version, not the actual shitpile).

>Why?

Fucking knighthood, chivalry, glory, Lord of the Rings bullshit battles, etc.
>>
>>2185474
>The way in which these guys were trained is amazing and ingenious.
Go on...
>>
>>2184789
>Internet corrupt youth

Yet teen pregnancy was the highest around those times
>>
>>2184980
Weren't there a lot of wars during that time?
>>
>>2184751
>United States
from the Civil War to WWII

>Europe
anything since late medieval is fascinating. recently I've been on an early modern bend

>Middle Eastern/Islamic
Muhammad to 13th/14th century when Turks took over

>Mediterranean + Persia
Ancient
>>
>>2184789
racism, malts, and fries still exist my friend.
>>
>>2184751
Late WRE, maybe in the last century or so starting with the Valentinians. Some of my favorite more obscure/overlooked emperors like Majorian. Lots of notable or interesting figures (Atilla, Aetius, Stillicho, Galla Placidia, Alaric, Ataulf, Genseric, Ricimer, etc.) and an overall exciting time period to learn about.

Also like post-Civil War, pre-World War I American history a lot.
>>
Late 1800's to the 1950's. To me it's the most chaotic and dramatic moment in recent history. So much change in a little time
>>
>>2184751

Hard for me to settle on a favorite because it really changes for me so often, but lately I've been getting into east Asian history with an emphasis on Korea of all places. Lots of obscure battles and wars between equally obscure kingdoms and states. Despite the staggering losses of life and shit that reads like something out of legend (Battle of Salsu for example) information about this period is typically sparse.
>>
>>2184751
The Enlightenment.

Whilst it lasted, manking really came into it's own. The Enlightenment created the Industrial Revolution, Rule of Law, Capitalism, Scientific Thought, and a rebirth of History and the Arts.
>>
The 18th century

Mostly for aesthetic reasons, but also for the Kings. Louis XV and XVI and how they failed their grandfather king, Louis the XIV. Then the true first World War, The Seven Years' War.
Great Catherine in Russia, Marie Therese and then Leopold..
Just a beautifully horrid era.

Vive le Monarchy
>>
>>2185641
Had we been born to that era, do you think we could have caused at least one of those pregnancies?
>>
>>2186186
Wow, that's pretty savage.
>>
>>2184777
checked
>>
>>2186093
You are fucking retarded and you should kill yourselves.

Everything you listed has heritages much older than the enlightenment

Please fall off a ledge, nigger
>>
>>2184770

>lol he likes the industrial revolution

Have fun toiling away in a factory. Do you know that medieval peasants and slaves had more time off then industrial workers during that time?
>>
>>2184751
Anytime where monarchy was strong, (or at least wasn't getting absolutely bum-fucked) but technology wasn't primative: Basically Medieval Europe to about the 19th century.

I just have a boner for monarchies.
>>
File: b49.gif (1MB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
b49.gif
1MB, 680x680px
>>2185192
>chainmail
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
mail or maille you pleb
>>
File: 1481843104745.jpg (213KB, 778x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1481843104745.jpg
213KB, 778x1000px
>>2186247
calm down anon, I didn't think anyone would care
what I meant was I think the long hauberk with coif and mittens, while worn with a heraldic surcoat, is very aesthetically pleasing.
Is that better you autist?
>>
File: Morgan-bible-fl-29.jpg (850KB, 799x491px) Image search: [Google]
Morgan-bible-fl-29.jpg
850KB, 799x491px
>>2186362
Much better
and I agree, early to high medieval mail is aesthetic af, shame there is less focus on this period in regards to armour than 14th ant 15th century
>>
File: Roman_Legionary.jpg (101KB, 770x492px) Image search: [Google]
Roman_Legionary.jpg
101KB, 770x492px
>>2184751
ROMABOO CHECKING IN!
>>
File: 833990bca3f92dd91f20272ac13631a7.jpg (499KB, 1024x1197px) Image search: [Google]
833990bca3f92dd91f20272ac13631a7.jpg
499KB, 1024x1197px
>>2186390
>the MF morgan bible
mah nigga
>>
>>2184751
romantism
>>
>>2186176
bach off
if you understand the reference
>>
>>2186412
morgan bible best bible
>>
>>2186507
i was so excited when I found out every page was displayed on the museum's website
>>
>>2186432
What
>>
>>2184770
>I don't think any of us can grasp just how routine death and disease was in everyone's daily lives.
Was? Just because you live in a nice suburban bubble doesn't mean disease and suffering were eliminated by steam engines. Pre-industrial death rates are overestimated due to a)higher incidence of infant mortality and b)no rigorous record keeping like we have now.
>>
>>2184770
Truth, no wonder everyone was so lofty back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6apSLamS7Q

Everyone glorifies military victories when really they should be glorifying Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Joseph Bazalgette. Then everyone forgot, took it for granted and fucked everything up in the 20th century.
>>
Out of the orders, Hospitaller is god tier.
>>
>>2185538
>its part of my history becouse im german.
it's the WORLD war you retard, it's part of everyone's history
>>
>>2185478

That's essentially all of North America and Australia.

They just didn't write anything down because they invented jack shit.
>>
File: Nain_Singh.png (307KB, 567x646px) Image search: [Google]
Nain_Singh.png
307KB, 567x646px
>>2185631
So the British-Indian Government faced the problem of getting surveys of these dangerous areas in Afghanistan, Tibet, and some parts of Central Asia. This Captain named George Montgomery(If you've read Kim, Montgomery is the inspiration for Colonel Creighton) comes along. He has the brilliant idea of using natives to penetrate these areas. Now it was dangerous for anyone to be found making maps/surveys of these areas, regardless of race. It was just thought that Indians had a better chance of staying hidden since they were more common in these areas.

Now it was time to figure out where these surveyors would come from. It was decided to use people from this clan of Hindus called the Rawats who lived near Tibet. They were a mix of North Indian Rajputs and Tibetans. Rawats had a good understanding of Tibet because an ancestor of theirs helped drive the Chinese out of Mount Kailash and Lake Manasavorar holy places to Buddhists and Hindus alike. They were given more free reign near the usually closed off Tibetan border. They also looked and spoke Tibetan, which would make matters a bit easier for them.

So two people were chosen, Nain and Mani Singh Rawat(they were cousins). They were taken to Dehra Dun, the headquarters of the Survey Of India(A British-Indian Government project that made maps and surveys of the Indian Sub-Continent). They went through 2 years of vigorous training. Some things were easier than others, reading sextants, compasses, and thermometers. Others were more complicated. To determine altitude they boiled water(The lower the boiling temperature, the higher the altitude). They were also trained in having a constant stride length, even when going up steep hills. Nain's was measured to be 31 inches, which meant approximately 2000 steps per mile.
>>
>>2189068
Nain and Mani were put in the disguise of a Buddhist Monk, not an uncommon site in the mountains of Tibet. This gave them a lot of places to store the heavy measuring equipment they needed to hide. One example is the rosary, which was used by the Pundits as a way to measure the distance they had traveled. The Buddhist rosary holds a total of 108 beads on it. Montgomery decided to cut off 8. This would leave an even 100 beads, and the difference in beads was small enough so as to not attract suspicion. Every hundreth pace, the Pundit would slip a smaller bead. Every tenth bead was slightly larger than the rest. These larger beads represented 1000 paces, or roughly half a mile. Since every Pundit had a constant stride length there would be little variation.

The staff of the first Pundits' disguise held thermometers. The prayer wheels held compasses as well as coded notes rather than the usual prayers. A strongbox held their sextants. There were also various hidden pockets in their clothing to hide other objects. The later Pundits would branch out more in their disguises. They would become traders or Muslim pilgrims. They were also heavily trained in the art of lying and cover stories, for any slip of the tongue could mean death. Many would travel for years before returning. Some would never return.

Nain and Mani failed on their first attempt to Tibet. Though Mani would fail on their second attempt, Nain would succeed in reaching Lhasa, being the first person to record it on British Maps. He told accounts of the various crops, and trade routes of Tibet. In total, he traveled 1200 miles. He would be the first person of Asiatic descent to be awarded the gold medal by the Royal Geographic Society.

There's a few other cool stories about the Pundits, but much of it is hidden due to the nature of their job. I'll quote Kim here to get the point across: "We of the Game are beyond protection. If we die, we die. Our names are blotted from the book. That is all."
>>
>>2185474
>>2189068
>>2189203
greatest /his/ pasta
>>
>>2184751
Middle Ages. A time full of darkness and a fight to keep knowledge alive, and a great deal of pagan folklore and music trying to stay hidden.

And 1950's America for the a e s t h e t i c
>>
>>2187672
>because they invented jack shit.
False

>>2184751
I would say Bronze Age or Medieval. Bronze age cultures to me represent the height of the first civilizations. Medieval is cool, cause just about everywhere in the world interesting developments were happening.
>>
>>2189278
careful with that bait
>>
>>2184751
Fin die Siecle. So much advancement and change in such a short time.
>>
File: Aurelian.jpg (34KB, 229x216px) Image search: [Google]
Aurelian.jpg
34KB, 229x216px
The Crisis of the Third Century till the end of the reign of Constantine
>>
When Doggerland was still afloat, and Maglemosian culture Scandinavia.

Get on my level.
>>
>>2184751
Australian history from 40,000 BC to 1600 AD
>>
>>2189259
Thanks, like I said before the Great Game fascinates me, it has so many cool and interesting stories like this.
>>
French Revoultion / Napoleonic Wars
>advances in technology
>cultural and moral debate
>tactical and strategic ingenuity
>"new" strategies of warfare show their prowess (guerilla, scorched earth)
>david v goliath style nation fights
>>
>>2184751
Early 19th century or classical antiquity. Nothing bores me more than medieval Europe.
>>
I used to be an 1800s fag but now I'm slowly converting to romabooism
>>
I love the age of Germanic migration and the dark ages. Early human civilization too.
>>
>>2184789
Fuck off /pol/tard
>>
>>2184751
Early imperial Rome and late medieval Europe
>>
The 1980's
It had the coolest cars, the neatest weapons, the catchiest songs, and the funnest movies.
>>
File: Map_Crusader_states_1135-en.svg.png (71KB, 300x413px) Image search: [Google]
Map_Crusader_states_1135-en.svg.png
71KB, 300x413px
The Crusades.

No, really. There's just something really interesting to me how Europeans managed to cobble together a bunch of states in an ultra-hostile environment and have them functionally survive for the better part of a century.
>>
>>2184789
Leftshits are LITERALLY SHAKING after reading this post
>>
Post-Cold war period
>Anarchy in Albania
>Biker war in scandinavia
>Stoner in the white house
>Alcoholic in the Kremlin
>people still too scared to use the interrnet
>MMMBop on top
>>
Late Antiquity
>>
>>2184751
Victorian Era to the end of WWI

I like it because it's not as foreing to us like medieval times or that stuff, we have pretty good records on how thing happened during that time and that's the root of a lot of political problems we still have today (west vs east, african shitholes, the complete fuck the middle east is, left vs right, red terror, ultranationalism, etc)
>>
Ancient era

Cradle of Civilization, Ancient Egypt, Persian Empire, Ancient Hebrews, Ancient Greece, Conquests of Alexander, Ancient Rome, and the beginning of Christianity.
>>
File: Vasa olga antonenko.jpg (522KB, 1600x911px) Image search: [Google]
Vasa olga antonenko.jpg
522KB, 1600x911px
17th and 18th centuries.
>>
Napoleonic Wars. Because based Napoleon and the height of badass naval action.
>>
>>2190430
the crusades are very interesting, the crusaders managed to keep armies in the field for almost a year while armies in europe usually disbanded after a few months
>>
>>2190430
Must be the magic of feudalism
>>
History of the Royal Navy and naval warfare stretching from the 16th to mid 20th century mainly. Also have a hard on for Rome and early medieval history
>>
>>2190430
Any good books on the Crusades you guys would recommend?
>>
>>2184751
The Killing Time because stalwart Covenanters were mercilessly persecuted for daring to assert Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ alone as the head of the Christian kirk!
>>
>>2186196
finding the time period interesting does not equal wanting to work in a factory, dipshit. glad you could find a way to be stupidly self-righteous though
>>
>>2185192
This desu
>>
File: 5567567567564.gif (447KB, 300x275px) Image search: [Google]
5567567567564.gif
447KB, 300x275px
>>2185556
>>2190403
>Good times are a meme!
Fuck off Tumblr.
>>
>>2186176
Vive le roi
>>
>>2193994
Michael Haag,
The tragedy of the Templars
Goes from beginning of the Muslim and Arabic invasion and tragic end.
>>
>>2189203
Wow that is pretty nice.
>>
>>2184751
I'm interested in the Roman Republic through the Roman Empire as well as the "dark" ages directly proceeding the collapse of Western Rome and then the early middle ages through the high middle ages. Renaissance and beyond I'm not as interested in.

Reading about the stuff now starting with Gibbon
>inb4
I never understood the memes, but it doesn't hurt to read it anyways.
>>
17 Century Ukraine would be interesting.
As well as 17th century Spain and England.
>tfw you will never be a pikeman or a musketeer.
>>
>>2184751
Late 1800's to the Interwar period.
>>
>>2185556
nice derail attempt, fag.
>>
>>2190243
I have a raging boner for this time period so much so I built a gaming PC just to play empire/Napoleon total war and I view master and commander/the Sean bean Sharpe series at least one a year.
>>
>>2194840
Hornblower is a great series that I think you will enjoy. It stretches through the Revolutionary Wars into the Napoleonic Wars
>>
The mid to late roman republic. The politics that went down during then is very interesting to me
>>
>>2185420
They had something akin to mokasin and footwraps with thick woolen socks in colder times.
>>
>>2190586
Lived it, wasn't that great in the Balkans. As a rich West European/American on the other hand, you would have gotten anything you like.
>>
>>2185641
In the context of the time that was normal. Nothing to do with corruption. Teenage girls are sexually and biologically ready for child birth and so could be wed if their parents gave their blessing.
>>
>>2186390
>>2186412
>>2186507
>>2186524
Why are the expressions of the people in these things always so inappropriate?
>>
File: 9994a76d0c36ce9239af188e6b36eb50.jpg (197KB, 720x1024px) Image search: [Google]
9994a76d0c36ce9239af188e6b36eb50.jpg
197KB, 720x1024px
>>2184751
The conquest of America, because some hundreds of guys conquested empires of thousands of people. Fascinating!
>>
I find Classical Greece endlessly fascinating, and also The Enlightenment in Europe. I guess I just find time periods with a massive flourishing of the arts or science or philosophy interesting, far more so than military conquest.
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.