[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/his/ maybe you can help me out. I have done a bit of reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Juliuscaesar.jpg (87KB, 390x513px) Image search: [Google]
Juliuscaesar.jpg
87KB, 390x513px
/his/ maybe you can help me out.

I have done a bit of reading on Caesar and other Roman generals lately, this led me to come across an interesting a anecdote.

So basically when Caesar was out and about doing his shit in the field, the Senate would award various days of thanks. I believe at one point Caesar was awarded something like 21 days of thanks.

I cannot find anything about this on the internet, perhaps I am just searching the wrong way.

Do you guys know what I am referring to?
>>
Bump?
>>
>>2172618
>Do you guys know what I am referring to?
I remember the senate voted Caesar 20 days of thanksgiving for defeating Vercingetorix, but I can't find anything about a 21 days long one.
>>
>>2173399

That's what I am thinking of.

Now here is the problem. All of the sources I have heard this from, including The Gallic Wars by Caesar himself doesn't fucking mention what a Roman thanksgiving is. They just say, the Senate voted such and such number of days and move on without so much as expounding upon the topic.
>>
>>2173404
>what a Roman thanksgiving is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplicatio
>>
>>2172618

According Commentaries on the Gallic Wars, Caesar was awarded 15 days once and 20 days twice.
>>
>>2173415
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplicatio

Jesus Christ, for twenty fucking days people had to do that shit? How did anything in Rome ever get done?
>>
>>2173449
It's not like the whole population of Rome would go to these processions. It would be just like triumphs: who had free time and wanted to see the show would go and cheer and follow.
You better believe no one other than the senators (the populares anyway) and the priests would keep going the whole 20 days.
After all, even if only 20k people went every day, it would still mean a fuckhueg procession.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.