[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It seems to be the prevailing thought that the Dems and Reps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1481158228238.jpg (26KB, 282x292px) Image search: [Google]
1481158228238.jpg
26KB, 282x292px
It seems to be the prevailing thought that the Dems and Reps switched platforms in the 60's during the civil rights movement but to me it seems like the only thing that changed about the parties was the demographics that voted for them. The Reps have always been about smaller government since Jefferson and their opposition to the civil rights act can be seen as an attempt to limit national power. Democrats have always been about consolidating national power as seen with Roosevelt and the New York Democrats of the 1800's.

Am I wrong? Did the party platforms actually change?
>>
To add on to this, I always hear people say "the reps were against slavery but also against the civil rights act so they changed."
>>
>>2171126
Democrats used to the "state's rights party" then it became the "federal government party".

The other Roosevelt was also pretty handsy on the economy and he was a Republican, Carter was pretty hands-offy and he was a Democrat - sometimes it's more about the guy than the party, but if the guy is popular you can expect party doctrine to follow after him thereafter.
>>
>>2171126
>The Reps have always been about smaller government since Jefferson

The Republican Party as an institution traces its roots to Lincoln, trying to connect it all the way back to Jefferson is disingenuous. Basically a form of WEWUZism.

You're also cherrypicking like mad considering how many "big government" Republicans and "small government" Democrats there have been (if such labels are actually worth anything).
>>
>>2171188

Yeah I guess I'm cherry picking a bit but then why do people say Republicans changed?
>>
>>2171222
Jefferson founded the democratic republcans, that party essentially morphed into the democrats.

The modern republican party came from a coalition of northern groups that formed after the collapse of the old Whig party
>>
>>2171709
>that party essentially morphed into the democrats

you mean schismed among four lines in 1828 after the era of good feelings collapsed in on itself and Jackson bludgeoned his way through to refound a party excluding his political enemies

Nice misdirection though, Shillary. Any little edge for 2020 counts, right?

>neolibs are THIIISSSSSSS pathetic
>>
>>2171730
Jackson democrats held onto most of the essentials of the democratic republicans, and a connection to Jefferson in no way validates the corporatism with a side of social democracy advocated by modern democrats
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.