[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were England and France fundamentally similar?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: england_and_france_sml.jpg (30KB, 250x167px) Image search: [Google]
england_and_france_sml.jpg
30KB, 250x167px
Were England and France fundamentally similar?
>>
Similarities
>Unending rivalry still going today
>Both hate germans and tolerate americans
>Both have similar cultural heritage, France is more catholic though
>Both were once great superpowers
>Both have made huge strides in sciences and medicine
>Both are genetically similar

Differences
>France is a republic founded on liberalism
>Britain is a monarchy based in tradition
>France has hosted more philosophers and artists
>Britain has pushed technology further
>France is on the whole slightly less industrial and more agricultural
>France has an focus on their land army
>Britain has a focus on its navu
>France has been a major player in Europe for the past 1000 years
>Britain has only been a major player since the mid 1700's
>Britain has more linguistic ties to Germany
>France has cultural ties to Spain

They're less similar, more like 2 sides of the same coin.

France and Spain are similar, Britain and Germany are similar.
>>
>>2170405
No, just no
>>
>>2170572
I can't handle all of this wrong
>>
>>2170572
>>France has cultural ties to Spain
Such as?
>>
>>2170607
Please tell me where I'm wrong.

>>2170630
Architectural, religious and linguistic similarities. Both are Latin peoples.
>>
>>2170665
Language, for one thing. English is a Latin language which happens to use some German words.
>>
>>2170679
It's Germanic with Latin words. I can't quite remember where I saw it and I'll try and get it now, but the majority of English words, as well as sentence structure and grammar are germanic. I'll see if I can get it.
>>
>>2170572
Well... for the 30 last year french industry as been doing much better than the one in britain.

- France kept its shipbuilding industry
- It developed rockets / satelites industry
- It still has nationnaly own auto industry.
- On aeronautics french subcontractors have done better.
- More developed on energy sector.

On some sector like hevy machinery and number of car produce Britain win hands down but overall French industry is stronger.
>>
>>2170737
Yet it also has a larger level of agriculture as Britain. We're talking density, not quantity.
>>
>>2170679
>English is a Latin language which happens to use some German words
anon pls
>>
>>2170679
Other way around pal. English is a Germanic language although it borrows quite a lot of vocabulary from French.
>>
File: engli.png (84KB, 799x528px) Image search: [Google]
engli.png
84KB, 799x528px
>>2170572
You forgot that both use tons of French words when they talk
>>
>>2170405

They were both like the knights in Fire Emblem
>>
>>2170630
spain is shitty bonus france
>>
>>2171090
they have the same percentage of words from latin and germanic, but the most used ones are germanic

the vocabulary of a 5 year old would have an overwhelming majority of words of germanic origin

and the grammar is germanic although leveled a bit
>>
>>2171136
>they have the same percentage of words from latin and germanic
If by "Latin" you mean "Romance" (aka both words that entered English via French and those that entered directly via Latin), that's wrong, see >>2171100

>the vocabulary of a 5 year old would have an overwhelming majority of words of germanic origin
A lot of French originated words are very basic (people, forest, river, city, place, person, use, able...etc)
If you exclude irrelevant structure words such as "the", "to"...etc and look only at adjectives, nouns and verbs, it's easily 50/50 between Romance and Germanic
>>
File: 1481136892708.jpg (67KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
1481136892708.jpg
67KB, 500x491px
>>2171348
kek
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.