[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Christian history general Let's rejoice brothers and sisters!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: bible2.gif (8KB, 299x224px) Image search: [Google]
bible2.gif
8KB, 299x224px
Christian history general

Let's rejoice brothers and sisters!
>>
File: images.jpg (19KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
19KB, 400x300px
Based OP
>>
Where do you want to start?
>>
Remember that time Christianity slaughtered millions of pagans?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donar%27s_Oak
>>
>>2319
the orignal shitposter
>>
>>2451
Ayy, watch it :^)
>>
>>2427
Your point?
>>
File: 1438461857833.png (181KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1438461857833.png
181KB, 600x600px
Christian history is jewish history. Who /oldtestament/ here?
>>
>>2581
I wish I knew more about the OT history, but I don't know where to start. Moses? David? Daniel? I don't know...
>>
Have they really found evidence of Noah's Ark or was that a hoax?
>>
>>2451
the original joke :^)
>>
File: pantokrator-w.jpg (269KB, 1600x1063px) Image search: [Google]
pantokrator-w.jpg
269KB, 1600x1063px
I'm gonna try starting something constructive before we turn into another /pol/ or /int/.

1. What is the oldest translation of Bible to your native language? In my case I believe it's around 13th century, but none of the copies survived throughout the ages. I think the oldest Bible translation I've read is from 16th century, I didn't read the whole thing though, only the book of Genesis.

Also, what do you think was the main cause of depopulation of Constantinople after the 4th crusade? I've heard lectures mentioning that the fire wasn't related to the sacking of the city.
Do you think it was the biggest blow to Orthodox Church during the middle ages, or perhaps was it the battle of Manzikert?

Also wondering if anyone knows decent books about Nestorian christianity
>>
>>2665
>>2700
It is contested. Some say that the Ark was found in/on a mountain in Turkey, but some are unsure. Basically, possibly yes, but we don't know.
>>
>>2945
1602 for us. It was translated in an attempt by the tudors to consolidate the reformation here.
>>
I really need to get back into reading the Bible again. A few years ago I tried reading through the Old Testament in a year but I only got up to Nehemiah before life started getting in the way. I was really enjoying it though, I'd love to try it again.

Anybody have an opinion on the NKJV translation? That's what I was reading at the time. I loved it but I hear that it has some criticism that I didn't look into at the time.

Also, does anyone know what the best source, or printing of the uncanonized books of the Bible is?
>>
>>3427
Do you mean Irish or English?
>>
>>3509
Irish
>>
>>2168
christians are shit, if we never had christians we wouldnt have had the dark ages and be much more advanced as a society
>>
File: christianity redpill.png (335KB, 870x1730px) Image search: [Google]
christianity redpill.png
335KB, 870x1730px
>>2168
>>
>>3646
Hahaha
>>
>>2649
Genesis
Or you could start from the actual historical accounts which I think starts with Joshua.
>>
>>3646
That's not a very funny meme.
>>
>>3689
>>3895
name one thing that christians did in history that benefitted society in any way
>>
>>3825
I think I'll start with Joshua (nothing against Genesis and Moses and all, I'm just wanting to know more about Biblical Israel). Thanks buddy
>>
>>3438
Nehemiah is a pretty ways in there anon. You should be happy with yourself. You're almost finished.
I stopped at the beginning of Joshua. I completelt forgot what Deuteronomy was about. Im reading through NIV new testament now
>>
>>3155
I don't think any evidence of the ark will ever be found because that is not how testing faith works.
>>
>>3646
You must be 18 to post on this site, dear fedoratipper.

The amount of influence that Christianity had on fall of Roman civilization is at very least arguable. Rome couldn't protect itself from the barbarians and frankly it was rarely stable country to begin with. Empire has always had bad emperors that left it in ruin, if you want to blame fall of Roman civilization on a religion, why not blame it on worship of Elagabalus? It was brought to Rome by homo tranny emperor, arguably one of the worst that Rome had.

The "dark ages" you're referring to, which historians call middle ages had more inventions than you could probably think of. While western Europe was definitely equivalent of barbaric third world at first, nothing changed for the Byzantine Empire and its wonderful capital, which was fabled for its riches among the westerners. There isn't single religion you can push all the blame for its fall on, because all of them had their hand in it.

Also it was the so called "dark" ages when city of Baghdad saw the construction of House of Wisdom and it wasn't Christians, but Mongol hordes who laid waste to that enlightened city and arguably froze Islam in time. It was also the middle ages when countless universities were built around Europe.

Needless to say, it was religion that has always been an inspiration for artists to create miraculous works and Christianity isn't an exception, in fact it probably spawned more wonderful art and architecture than any other religion.

We don't have to agree with other people's beliefs, but we can at very least respect them.
>>
>>3438
The NKJV is good as far as the translation of the words goes, but there are better sources regarding the manuscripts used for the translation. The ESV and NASB are both preferable but the NKJV is fine if you really love it.

Also, I think the NAB (the official bible for the Catholic church, not to be confused with the NASB) has a OT apocrypha in it, but I'm not sure how good the actual translation is. As for NT uncanonized books, I believe you'd have to pick up a "gnostic bible" for that. You can ultimately find translations virtually everything here though
http://earlychristianwritings.com/index.html
>>
>>2700
Well they could have found evidence of an Ark somewhere, but it probably wouldn't be Noah's. What matters most is that if the entire world would have been flooded for 40 days it's impossible to find not a single piece of archeological evidence of it later on.
I don't wanna offend anyone, believe what you want to believe, but take the Bible with a grain of salt.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.