[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is stoicism a good philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: large.gif (437KB, 500x566px) Image search: [Google]
large.gif
437KB, 500x566px
Is stoicism a good philosophy
>>
Define good
>>
>>2167592
Yes. Just remember to apply the principals to your life slowly. No one become an expert over night.
>>
I think stoicism is a "good" philosophy in the sense that it almost feels natural. Its not what happens to us, but how we perceive it.
>>
>>2167592
yes. autist on 4chan would be better off if they went down the Marcus Aurelius path instead of the naziboo path.
>>
>>2167592
Nah, cynics are the way to go
>>
Yes, it will help you to cultivate inner strength.
>>
>>2167592
It's the only sensible lifestyle
>>
Would someone give a full explanation of stoicism?
>>
>>2168469
If you have this as your Overdrive mode, you will only be able to charge your Overdrive gauge when you take damage. This is a good way to charge your gauge for bosses that deal massive damage, but not necessarily one-hit kill you.
>>
nihilism is the true Truth
>>
>>2168488
HELLO
>>
I think it is quite good although there are some good arguments against it. Should you really limit your passion?
>>
>>2168469

Accept the things you can't change, take comfort in small pleasures, don't dwell on unpleasant emotions / memories.
>>
>>2168503

Stoicism is compatible with nihilism. The ancient Stoics believed in an eternal cycle of repeating history with no prospect for alleviation, their philosophy was about finding a good way to live in a universe without meaning.
>>
>>2168773
unpleasant memories often need to be addressed because there is something you need to still work out.
>>
>>2168778

Sure, the Stoics didn't advocate ignoring your problems, just not dwelling on your sorrows or mourning the things you can't change.
>>
>>2168770

yeah, passion is suffering (literally: pati)
>>
>>2167592
Epicureanism is better though.
>>
>>2168850
not convincing
>>
I cannot control what others think of Stoicism, so it does not concern me.
>>
>>2168773
>>2168814
so, basically, stop bullshitting yourself and be an adult? I won't claim to be the most mentally sound person since I'm posting on an imageboard for chinese cartoons, but it's funny how these values seem to me like the ones I already aspire to daily.
>>
>>2168770
you should If you can't channel it into something useful I guess. Take relationships for example... it's fine to surrender yourself to passion, but you won't feel as fulfilled until you've gradually developed a situation where understanding and trust founded on years of knowing each other are key. I mean, take you best same-sex friends for instance, do you feel passion for them?
>>
>>2168880
You can't smoke as a stoic, +garden!!!
>>
>>2170067
wouldn't aponia justify smoking?
>>
>>2170067
>>2170107
forget it, i had both epicureanism and stoicism pages open on wikipedia and got them mixed
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.