[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

City States are best states.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1472224705787.jpg (25KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1472224705787.jpg
25KB, 500x375px
The only thing better would be if each individual communities governed themselves with no government above them, anarcho-syndicasm.
>>
I tend to agree. I am in favor of decentralisation anyways.
>>
File: Roman General.jpg (13KB, 236x324px) Image search: [Google]
Roman General.jpg
13KB, 236x324px
>>2152791
City states are like that thread on libertarianism.

It's all fun and games and "muh close knit civic identity" until one starts a fucking empire.
>>
>>2152899

Rome should have stayed just a city.
>>
I-I... Don't disagree...
>>
>>2153738
Yes, a millenia long empire that was one of the largest ever seen.
Clearly they shouldn't have bothered. Look at Venice.
>>
>>2152899
Basically this

City-states would be the best in an ideal world where people aren't cunts and could cooperate, but unfortunately, they're impractical because people are power hungry cunts and are basically food for any up and coming empire
>>
>>2153822

City-state leagues were a thing though.
>>
File: 1468121252678.png (45KB, 280x296px) Image search: [Google]
1468121252678.png
45KB, 280x296px
>>2154006
>Peloponnesian League
"Do what Sparta tells you to do or your city gets razed."
>Hellenic League
"Alright if we don't band together to stop the Persians all of your cities are gonna get razed. Also if you don't do what the Spartans tell you to do then it's your own fault if your city gets razed."
>Delian League
"Do what Athens tells you or your city gets razed. Also Athens might raze you even if you do what they tell you, they're cunts like that."
>Corinthian-Theban League
"Lets raze Sparta"
>League of Corinthian
"We're going to go raze Persia. Disagree with razing Persia and your city gets razed."

Leagues were a fucking joke man.
>>
>>2152791
I do believe there are benefits to decentralization such as more local government that can be more tailored to individual needs and can obtain greater efficency and organization.
I do believe however several things are lost. The first stability in both a military and physical sense of the word. Small states can be destroyed by one catastrophe. Another is that like many small countries a city state can be overly reliant on one jey resource or industry, adding to the fundamental instability.
I don't believe it is an accident that large countries overtook the city state. The best compromise I can think of is a large confederation of city states but unfortunately organizations such as this tend to either turn towards unitary states or break up.
>>
>>2153759
Venice was a merchant republic with a sizeable empire. Not the best representation of a city state.
>>
>>2154040

Your acting like the empires and kingdoms were any different from that.
>>
>>2152791
They have their uses.
A unified Renaissance Italy would have been steamrolled by another power in a heartbeat. Seems like the political trickery and mercenary shenanigans of the city-states helped them survive and flourish as long as they did.
>>
>>2154769
I think that's what he's arguing, though. That the only way for city-states to resist empires and kingdoms, through leagues, was to become no different from empires and kingdoms except the ruler is a city-state instead of an individual.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.