[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Austria World War I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: easternfrontww1.jpg (85KB, 256x971px) Image search: [Google]
easternfrontww1.jpg
85KB, 256x971px
What were some notable successes by Austria-Hungary on the Eastern Front in WW1? For pretty much the whole war they were the majority of Central Powers forces on a front that ended with nearly 2-1 casualties in the Central Powers' favor. They couldn't have been that bad.
>>
>>2144417
>They couldn't have been that bad.
It's not that they weren't that bad, it was just that the Russians were even worse.
>>
>>2144422
>>2144417
And also, a pretty big contribution to your 2-1 casualties figure comes from the Germans encircling TWO Russian armies in 9 days at Tannenberg and the First battle of the Masurian Lakes
>>
>>2144428
There were only 320,000 total Russian casualties in the East Prussia invasion and over 9 million on the whole Eastern Front. For nearly the whole war, the majority of Central Powers soldiers on that front were Austro-Hungarian. Given that even in the proto-blitzkrieg against the much less formidable Romanians, the Germans couldn't manage more than a roughly 3-1 casualty ratio, there's no way that lopsided casualty ratio is down solely to the relatively small number of German troops involved.

>>2144422
The Russians were pretty formidable, they rocked the Austro-Hungarians and Ottomans hard early on and even scored some good successes against the Germans.
>>
anyone willing to write a short greentext of events in the East? I feel as if that would grant me more contextual knowledge than a wikipedia article would
>>
Croatian God Mars
Give it a read.
>>
File: maps_42_italy1915-17_(1600).jpg (208KB, 1600x1231px) Image search: [Google]
maps_42_italy1915-17_(1600).jpg
208KB, 1600x1231px
>>2144417
The main success they had was holding on. While Austrians participated in nearly every battle in the East, after 1914 they did not seriously participate in offensives on their own.

If you are looking for notable Austrian offensive actions, the Battle of Asiago is probably their most impressive.
>>
>>2144417
No the Austro-Hungarians performed poorly.
I'd suggest reading "A Mad Catastrophe"

Austrian leadership was completely inept in modern warfare, making well equipped experienced troops bayonet charge Russian conscripts.

Both sides had comparable casualties during the first battles. Which was disastrous for the Austrians since they were hopelessly outnumbered.

What saved Austria Hungary was Germany stepping in and taking command of their military. They basically set up defenses in the Carpathians. Kept Hungarian and Slavic units with non existent moral in reserve and attacked with mainly German storm troops.

Russians had a lot of manpower but they were just as dumb as the Austrians and got buttfucked by the Germans.
>>
>>2144534
>What saved Austria Hungary was Germany stepping in and taking command of their military

Offensives (or any battles really) conducted primarily by Austro-Hungarian troops under German leadership count for the purposes of this thread.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.