[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honest question. Is capitalism preventing space travel? There

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: sp.jpg (2MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
sp.jpg
2MB, 1680x1050px
Honest question.
Is capitalism preventing space travel?

There is no "right now" profit in going to the stars (long term yes)

So with a pay out in the life time of an investor its not worth it with the millions people make off oil and other things like that,
Its my belief that we could of had a settlement on the moon 20 years ago but there is no payout in it so it isnt worth it for investors.
>>
capitalism or no humanity is never going to leave planet Earth

Deal with it
>>
A human society with no capitalism probably wouldn't have made it to electricity, let alone space travel.

If you mean "nobody wants to fund that shit" you would be correct, but this is inherent in every economic system, not just capitalism. It's capitalism that's given the US government a three trillion dollar a year budget to spend.
>>
>>2143567
OP here, not totally against capitalism but i notice a trend of current capitalists not wanting to take risks like they did before.
In the early industrial days and before that when explorers were discovering the world there was huge risk.
no ones willing to risk it all anymore in the name of progress.
Clean and Solar energies would benefit a lot of things and even make profits for investors but since it wouldnt happen in the holders life time "its not worth it"

Its sad really.

I guess you could call it crony capitalism or something.
>>
Dude the only thing preventing space travel and dragging humanity down is welfare that keep leeches alive.
>>
I think capitalism will spur space travel through private companies like spacex similarly to post ww1 aviation.
>>
>>2143591
Well, it costs more to do new things now, we did all the cheap stuff.

You still have governments shelling out tens of billions of dollars for hadron colliders and space shuttles.

Hell, the ISS alone was a twelve figure price tag.

You'd be correct that private corporations don't generally undertake large investments for an uncertain payoff, but that's precisely why the public sector exists.
>>
It's democracy, not capitalism.

The Europeans who went out colonizing did so because they didn't need the people's agreement. Also, it wasn't that big of a risk.

The only reason the Space Race was even big in the first place was because of a dick waving conquest involving weapons development. Nobody gave a shit about Space.

The truth of the matter is that people will either vote for tax cuts or for taxes to be spent on them. They don't care about space
>>
>>2143625
I thought most early colonialism was pretty much private ventures with government subsidies - then they really jumped on board once the profits became apparent.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.