[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Origins of Judaism and development of Monotheism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: barabf1.png (523KB, 607x611px) Image search: [Google]
barabf1.png
523KB, 607x611px
So Yawheh became a particularly important deity in both the polities of Judah and Israel in around the 8th and 7th centuries BCE, although he was worshiped alongside many other deities.

When the Kingdom of Israel was destroyed by the Assyrians, a number of Israelite refugees fled to the Kingdom of Judah, bringing with them the idea that the familiar god Yawheh was not only the head of the pantheon, but the only one that should be worshiped.

My question is: how is it that this view was adopted in the Kingdom of Israel? And why did the elite of the Kingdom of Judah so readily accept this view?
>>
That's just one version of how it could have happened. The one that (as far as I know) is more accepted, and seems to make more sense is that strict monotheism came during the Babylonian captivity. During this period, important priests and nobles were surrounded by Babylonian culture (probably the source of Babylonian myths in Genesis) and Zoroastrianism. Because of Zoroastrian influence and a need to maintain a distinct identity, Yahweh became the only god of the Jews there, and when those influential figures went back to Palestine, they took their new form of the religion with them.

The idea that modern(ish) Judaism would come from Israel actually doesn't make very much sense, since the Torah we have heavily favors its depiction of Judah, and sort of vilifies Israel.
>>
File: daddy_walrus_disturbed.jpg (42KB, 203x329px) Image search: [Google]
daddy_walrus_disturbed.jpg
42KB, 203x329px
>>2134622
But, see, it is thought that even before the Babylonian invasion and captivity, Yahwhism (which stressed worshiping Yahweh exclusively, in a form of pseudo-monotheism) had already become prevalent among the upper classes (that is, those who would have been carried off to Babylon), and that the Persian influence gained during the Babylonian captivity simply added the final touches to what was already a monotheistic (monolatry) religion. These final touches were: the ideas of a written scripture and canon, of an established priesthood, and concerns for ritual purity.
>>
>>2134636
Those seem to have been part of the religious reform enacted by Josiah, if that's what you're interested in. I didn't mention it because that period is more spotty, and not as much as known about it, so exactly what changes occurred in beliefs are somewhat up to speculation.

But it seems like during Josiah's reign, he enacted a number of reforms that focused Judaism on the worship of Yahweh, and with strict practices centered around Jerusalem.
>>
>>2134649
Yeah, and that's exactly what I'm wondering: why did Josiah enact reforms that made Yahweh the central focus of this proto-Judaic religion?

It's believed that - like I said - Yahwism was brought to Judah from Israel, but why did Israel even develop this Yahwism, and why did Josiah and the aristocracy espouse Yawhism so much?
>>
>>2134658
It probably had to do with power consolidation. Josiah's reforms stressed the importance of one god who could only be worshiped in Jerusalem, and by Josiah's priests. These are things that gave him a ton of power of his subjects, especially any refugees that may have had different ideas. Deuteronomy is a good example of some of his changes that even influenced how people were supposed to live.
>>
>>2134536
Are you from /lgbt/ or something ?
>>
>>2134746
Maybe - why?
>>
Because when they were assigned the kingdom of Israel, God parted the Red Sea for them and showed them Commandments. Come on.
>>
>>2134765
0/10

Back in my day, trolling meant something.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.