[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did the Crusaders ever try to retake north Africa for Christendom?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1480539329885.jpg (178KB, 634x952px) Image search: [Google]
1480539329885.jpg
178KB, 634x952px
Did the Crusaders ever try to retake north Africa for Christendom?
>>
>>2132557
The took Spain back, that's pretty much Africa right?

Also one of the Crusades tried to take over Egypt, I forgot which one though, maybe the 2nd or the 4th?
>>
>>2132557
Who's the royal spoil?
>>
>>2132564
5th and 7th were both in Egypt
>>
>>2132595
4th tried to go there as well but... you know...
>>
Did north Africa even have any holy sites worth taking other than Alexandria?
>>
>>2132686
Does the Sinai peninsula count as part of North Africa?
>>
>>2132557
There was the crusade for Tunis. Besides that and any campaigns targeting Egypt, most attempts at European conquests of North Africa in the Middle Ages were done the usual way. Iberian and Italian kingdoms regularly tried to capture and hold coastal fortifications and were more successful in some centuries than in others, but in general these attempts focused more on propping up local puppet governments and lone supply outposts than they were about capturing and Christianizing territory.
>>
The portuguese tried to conquer Morocco and managed to snag an enclave at Ceuta. When they tried to expand that they got BTFO though.
>>
>>2132618
Let's not talk about the 4th
>>
>>2132618
Would it have been successful if they got there? Hmmm
>>
>>2132746
no, the border between Africa and Asia is where the Suez Canal lies now, leaving Sinai in Asia
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.