[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Late Middle Ages who was more powerful, Holy Roman Empire or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: 1469053743741.jpg (100KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
1469053743741.jpg
100KB, 533x800px
Late Middle Ages who was more powerful, Holy Roman Empire or Kingdom of France?

I understand HRE was not very unified, and France had trouble with England. But let's say it's an all out scrap/war.

Please teach me /his/.
>>
>>2121846

The question doesn't even really make sense. Feudal "states" don't work the same way a modern state does. You didn't really have a lot of institutional power.

Let's say, hypothetically, in 1454, "France" and the HRE go to war over something or other. Neither Frederick the Third nor Charles the Seventh had huge armies personally loyal to them, supported by taxes of the state, a la an absolute monarchy.

Instead, they have a bewildering array of nobles, all of whom have their own manors, estates, and private armies, some of whom would be contributing men to the fight, some of whom would be contributing money to the fight (to hire mercenaries or just buy supplies), and all of whom have a huge laundry list of excuses as to why not to help out if they don't feel their interests are best served by it.

Because things are so much less stable, you have a lot more direct input by the monarch, insofar as his personal abilities to get the people who hold the bulk of the resources of the kingdom on board with whatever policy or war he's contemplating. The ability to mobilize the stuff of the realm is tiny back then, and as such, direct comparisons between "states" is almost impossible.
>>
>>2121846
Germany wins hands down, as always! France just cannot compete.
>>
File: wwe-ref.gif (2MB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
wwe-ref.gif
2MB, 500x390px
>>2121883

Debate dominated.
Frenchfags BTFO
>>
>>2121870
Thanks a lot for your reply. I have a habit of forgetting many kingdoms are just collections of different nobles and various states.

>>2121883
France rip
>>
File: germs.jpg (287KB, 1445x633px) Image search: [Google]
germs.jpg
287KB, 1445x633px
>>2121846
Judging by who cucked who, I'd say France was stronger
>>
File: hre.png (145KB, 322x561px) Image search: [Google]
hre.png
145KB, 322x561px
>>2121846
Is that even a question?
>>
>>2121919
The HRE had Francophone territory for centuries, France ruled German lands for ~10 years, save for Alsace which is now in French posession only because of Anglos
>>
File: IMG_0104.jpg (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0104.jpg
16KB, 320x240px
>>2121919
>tfw the country labeled Roman Empire is actually the Byzantine Empire
>>
>>2121929
>1213-1214
>Late middle ages
Seriously, why is /his/ one of the most uneducated boards in matters of history?
>>
>>2121870
This.
>>
>>2121870
Except that Charles VII did have a personal semi permanent army of crossbowmen in 1454, drawn from all over France, the formation of which really helped him to drive the English out, if you were talking about around 1400ish though you would be correct
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.