[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can one become a contemporary historian without going trough

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1481896588001.jpg (9KB, 238x192px) Image search: [Google]
1481896588001.jpg
9KB, 238x192px
Can one become a contemporary historian without going trough academia? What if someone learned the required methodology by all by himself and researched his shit appropriately?
>>
>>2114193
Well, then you just got to go get published. But you're pretty much going about things the most backwards way possible.
>>
>>2114211
What if I start my own neo-academia with hookers and blackjack?
>>
>>2114193
The easiest way is through academia.

The biggest issue is that you would have issues getting funding until you proved that you have some clout as an established researcher.

Why not go through academia though?
>>
>>2114220
Starting a new academia would require you to take thousands of other competent people with you. And at that point, all you've done is produce an artificial divide between academic circles, for no raisin.

Scholarship is not something you do in a vacuum. There's not a guidebook on how to history hidden inside universities that they don't let you see until you've sunk 4 years in. It's a set of skills and practices you develop by engagement with other scholars constantly checking your work, and working with them.
>>
>>2114233
I'm 25 and a semi-hobo at that. I just wonder of I can revive the DIY historian fashion without being a complete amateur at it. History pretty much is the only reason I didn't an hero so far and perhaps I could make myself a name as a historian.
>>
>>2114254
Thanks for clarifying that.
>>
>>2114193
As long as you have access to enough money and materials, as well as having correct methodology, you can do it.
>>
>>2114261
Thanks.
>>
>>2114260
Thanks for being open to that! 4chan is full of these threads on every board (/asp/ "How do I be a boxer without going to a boxing gym and boxing people", /co/ "How do I become a comics writer without ever collaborating with artists?') so it's refreshing to see this isn't just a case of the 'tism.

Your best bet, if you can't afford a university education, is to try and find where academics congregate. I did an internship at a place called USAHEC. US army heritage and education center. Like, every week they'd bring in a PhD to give a lecture and mingle. Most people who showed up at these things were like 70 year old dudes who just wanted to hear war stories, but these guys were all on the cutting edge, and were eager for people to pick their brain and offer advice. Look for things like that. Check out local historical societies.

Try to contact local universities and see if you can sit in on their classes.
>>
File: 20161121_192737.png (889KB, 793x1195px) Image search: [Google]
20161121_192737.png
889KB, 793x1195px
>>2114304
Hell, those are great advices. Perhaps I could gradually find myself a mentor and get a foot in academia. Thanks a lot my dude.

Have a cyber ara macao.
>>
>>2114326
Not that anon, but I'm trying coming out of a bad spot myself and trying to get re engaged academically. Basically the most valuable resource is other people, because there's a good chance they know something you don't. Work hard and talk to people and you'll be noticed.
>>
Start an independent publication, my dude. It's what I've been dreaming to do lately. We're not talking National Geographic or anything, but zines and smaller stuff with columns mailed in by amateurs and enthusiasts with too much time on their hands, circulated on the corners of sidewalks and word-of-mouth. Most of the work to making a name for yourself is just spreading the word, after all. What better way than to share your love for an academic field and show those big-wig tenured-types that you're a strong armchair historian who don't need no university resources?
>>
File: images.png (6KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
6KB, 205x246px
>>2114348
>semi-hobo comes to /his/
>nothing but gentle and useful words of hope
>Voltaire's ghost looks at /his/ with a warm smile
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.