[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hagia Sophia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

1) Why did the Byzantines make this cathedral so huge?

2) How costly was it to build, approximately what % of the imperial tax collection did it cost?

3) Was it important as a tool of diplomacy, to awe foreign guests?
>>
Yet again, a thread that is actually related to History is ignored in favour of meme-threads and politics.

I myself would contribute but I can't answer your question, sorry about that, so this post can just serve as a bump instead.
>>
>>2113886
>Implying we have any idea about this shit, except the question to answer one, which is, you guessed it, architecture
>>
>1) Why did the Byzantines make this cathedral so huge?

The interior is a giant hangar for Naboo starfighters
>>
1. the one before it was pretty big. its destruction was just a means to give Justinian a grand building plot next to the imperial palace after the Nika revolt threatened the very legitimacy of his rule. A way of saying "I'm the state, motherfuckers, and God is on my side too."

2. a lot. it was much grander at the time then it was now. it held forty thousand pounds of silver (http://www.lmccourses.com/11.1ps.pdf). I've heard 20000 pounds of gold as the round figure, which seems to be cited from here: https://books.google.com/books?id=MmXFrafifw0C&pg=PA400

It collapsed various times from earthquakes through the centuries so that doesn't factor in the cost of rebuilding.

3. The city itself was important as a tool of diplomacy in the day. Before the Fourth Crusade, when it was filled with wealth and philosophy.
>>
>>2113975
Good post.
I'd like to add.
1) It's a sign of power, wealth, and God's favor. Why wouldn't you build a grand temple if you could?
3) It impressed the Kievan Rus and was the deciding factor in making East Slavs Orthodox (that and islam forbids alcohol)
>>
>>2113966
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>2114084

Just stay in the cockpit kiddo ;2)
>>
>>2113966
kek, nice dubs too m8

>>2113975
Interestingly enough the one before it also crumbled in an earthquake. It's also the first cathedral to have a dome that big not made of wood since the Pantheon in Rome. There's a few anecdotes about the architect too but I can't remember presently.
>>
>>2114126
It was designed specifically to survive earthquakes.
>>
>>2114157
Yes, indeed.
>>
>>2113799
>1) Why did the Byzantines make this cathedral so huge?
It was supposed to be a symbol.
Also, something to wow the subjects after a rough period in his rule.
>2) How costly was it to build, approximately what % of the imperial tax collection did it cost?
>>2113975
>3) Was it important as a tool of diplomacy, to awe foreign guests?
It was a symbol of the empire.
Fun fact, all these huge-ass monuments are made when the state is weak and poorer than usual.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.