[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A Question on Saint Veneration

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: saints.jpg (124KB, 788x515px) Image search: [Google]
saints.jpg
124KB, 788x515px
What room is there for for the veneration of traditionally catholic saints outside of Christianity?

I do not know what religion I believe in at this point but all of my conclusions point towards the notion that humans have the ability to form connections with the spiritual realm and that human spirits especially those empowered by popular conscious and significant works can intercede on the livings behalf. This includes all dead, but certain spirits are stronger than others.

In light of this would it make sense to accept the power of passed saints without necessarily ascribing directly to catholic doctrine?
>>
>>2113173

Wouldn't the fact that they apparently formed a "connection" suggest they might have been on to something?
>>
File: 1475880753020.jpg (426KB, 2053x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1475880753020.jpg
426KB, 2053x1300px
>>2113223
I put the question in terms of catholic holy men but in a general sense I would assume that all holy men would interpret their experience in terms of their own societal expectations.
>>
>>2113173
Catholics aren't Christian
>>
>>2113484
This meme again
>>
File: 1472406803871.jpg (156KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1472406803871.jpg
156KB, 640x480px
bumping for curiosity
>>
>>2113173
Saint George is equated with the figure of al-Khidr, popular in more esoteric Islamic traditions. In general, Saint George is the equivalent of many I-E dragonslaying heroes.

Also Buddha Sakyamuni was at one point a Catholic saint. I believe he's still venerated in Orthodox Church. That's the opposite migration than what you're asking, but it's an example either way.
>>
>>2113173
This isn't to say you must be dogmatically Roman Catholic but It would be in bad faith to beseech as saint who devoted their life Christianity without believing at least basic Christian principals.
>>
>>2113603
Imo that is. I don't speak for them, I don't pretend to know how they'd feel about it.
>>
File: 1280px-Mission_Santa_Cruz.jpg (179KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Mission_Santa_Cruz.jpg
179KB, 1280x960px
>>2113603
>>2113611
I can easily see where you are coming from there. Perhaps in some cases one should at least donate to the church to receive a saints approval.

I guess a corporeal way of considering it could be a case of a local priest. You may not be christian but he is a pillar of the community whos wisdom goes a long way and whom you would respect and support regardless out of a sense that you know he is the wisest and best person in the community. Depending on how chill he is, he may help you with his wisdom regardless on your views on the cosmic order.

If we accept the permanence of the spirit and their ability to guide the earth, then we just extrapolate this relationship beyond the pale of death and increase the scope. We would accept that certain spirits of men whether they were Catholic or Buddhist or otherwise, have a distinct level of wisdom in their respective fields and may be respected, venerated or possibly contacted and hopefully they would accept the differences in faith and intercede on ones behalf.

Now that I am thinking about it, this may in effect be an extended form of ancestor worship, though I am not sure.
>>
>outside of Christianity
There is Catholicism
>>
File: nice meme.jpg (12KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
nice meme.jpg
12KB, 480x480px
>>2113484
>>
>>2113806
You know real life isn't Skyrim, right?
>>
>>2114046
I'm sorry that you are so hollow that you can't discuss religion without thinking about vidya.
>>
>>2113173

All saints are outside of Catholicism.

All born again Christians are saints.

Dealing with demons is a really bad idea.
>>
>>2113488
Facts are stubborn things. check'd
>>
>>2113806
Yes, if you were Japanese, the system you talk about would be Shinto.

And the local priest teaching pagan ways and molesting young boys has zero spiritual benefit to the neighborhood.
>>
File: 1471272096089.png (724KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471272096089.png
724KB, 1280x720px
>>2114127
>the system you talk about would be Shinto.

...but I don't want to be a weaboo...
>>
>>2113806
It's not ancestors worship. Saint veneration could be described like forging relationships with people in Heaven. Let's say your devoted to Saint Joseph. You might meditate upon his life, look to him for inspiration when you need to make decision, and pray to him for intercession. You might even consecrate yourself to him in the manner of a master/apprentice relationship.
>>
>>2114380

>It's totally not necromancy when we do it.

Papists have no friends, and no place, in the Kingdom of God.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.