[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ancient books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: images (4).jpg (22KB, 400x246px) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
22KB, 400x246px
What are some ancient books/texts that are worth a read?

I'm planning on reading the Puranas and Tao Te Ching.

Please give suggestion. The more deep or influential the book was the better
>>
absolutely pointless.
>>
>>2113169
meditations by marcus aurelius
>>
>>2113169
De administrando imperio
>>
>>2113169
The Tao Te Ching is pretty worthless, honestly.
>>
>>2113169
Satyricon gave me a good laugh, even if it's pleb-tier reading.
>>
>>2113169
Holy Bible, Old and New Testaments, King James Version.
>>
>>2113169
The epic of Gilgamesh. 4000 years old, its the oldest piece of writing there is and is a great story with the best bromance in recorded history.
>>
>>2114104
t. pleb
>>
>>2114134
I liked it a lot too, too bad there so many missing parts. If you havent read it you should read the golden ass by Lucius Apuleius. Another Roman novel, the only one surviving in its entirety and it was really funny as well
>>
>>2114190

Whats the most accurate translation?

One where they dont use a European context to interpret Middle Eastern culture.

Like how they interpreted certain Middle Eastern folkloric creatures as "dragons" "unicorns" etc
>>
Most've the ancient books are just copies that the Vatican has allowed to reproduced. I think the Kabalion is from Lebanon or something and that's a bit of 'ancient' knowledge for you to dip your toes in.
>>
The Illiad

The most studied and widely read work for almost 2000 years. Inspired Alexander the Great, almost any Greco-Roman work surviving today references the Illiad at some level (including dialogues of philosophy, history, art, mathematics etc). Even after the arrival of the Bible, it still was a required mastery for most educated people till the Enlightenment.

I literally cannot stress how important it is.
>>
File: 1456828874252.jpg (112KB, 677x782px) Image search: [Google]
1456828874252.jpg
112KB, 677x782px
>>2114680
>You will never rawdog a sacred prostitute, become monster-slaying chads, and go on an epic quest to defeat death (and fail) in order to accept your bro's death.

Feels bad man
>>
>>2115235
Feels real bad. I like the part when hes mad that enkidu dies so he goes and kills like 700 lions to cheer himself up
>>2115216
Is it really more studied than the bible?
>>
>>2115316
>Is it really more studied than the bible?
I can't say so anymore. It was the equivalent of the Bible in its day however. Plato, Alexander, Aristotle, Cicero, Polybius, all have many works that reference or directly discuss the work. Fascinatingly a huge amount of the preserved papyrus scrawlings we recover/have recovered are pieces of the Illiad (largely due to Alexander and the following Diadochi kings instituting a widespread manuscript copying system across the hellenized world to replicate the great works)
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.