[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Alcohol evil ? Was banned alcohol justified?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

File: prohibition_2605609b.jpg (102KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
prohibition_2605609b.jpg
102KB, 620x387px
Is Alcohol evil ?

Was banned alcohol justified?
>>
yes, it's satan's snare
>>
no, it is the water of life
>>
>>2111063
Alcohol is very useful as a disinfectant, antifreeze, fuel, preservative, etc. Hard to understand why anyone would want to ban it
>>
Controlled substances aren't evil, addiction to them is.

Most people believe prohibition was a mistake but in reality it did take the drinking culture down a notch. Women had to literally hide their husband's paychecks so they wouldn't blow it all on booze, not to mention a lot of drunks are angry drunks and that's no good for anyone. Youth alcoholism also dropped because illegality made it harder to access and there was less peer pressure to drink.
>>
>Is Alcohol evil ?

Anyone has father who is a drunkard would say yes.
>>
>>2111063
>Is Alcohol evil ?

Mostly

>Was banned alcohol justified?

No. Huge warning and responsibility education but if people want to partake of Alcohol despite prior education and warning to self-harming degrees a "I told you so" policy is in effect.
>>
Some people apparently are more susceptible to alcoholism. If you are an alcoholic then alcohol is evil for you.
>>
Mind altering substances are humanity's most malignant tumor
>>
>>2111063
Yes and yes. It causes promiscuity, violence, addiction, and general stupidity. The only reason it's legal, unlike weed or ecstasy, is its cultural foundation.
>>
>>2111084
Alcohol isn't evil, the man is evil.

Alcohol doesn't make anyone do anything they don't already want to do. If a person does bad things when they drink, it's because they are a bad person.
>>
>>2111092
>Some people apparently are more susceptible to getting dopesick. If you are an dope fiend then heroin is evil for you.
Would you try justifying legalizing heroin with this logic?
>>
>>2111094
Yeah, dude, or maybe I'm a fucking adult and you shouldn't be able to tell me what do to because of 'indirect' possible consequences.
>>
>>2111098
I would, yes.
>>
>>2111100
For an adult you type like an bratty child
>>
>>2111107
Alright, have fun with your AIDS, Hep C, petty thievery, and littered streets then my man
>>
>>>2111111
>>
>>2111109
Say something stupid, get a stupid response.
How far would you ideally like to go in controlling peoples' every day lives? Either you focus on obvious vices like alcohol, and then you're not so much concerned about keeping the population safe as much as you are pushing your own personal """""""degenerate""""" posting agenda, or you go full-way and close every McDonalds, Gamestop, or bakery in the nation as well.
>>
>>2111132
>ow far would you ideally like to go in controlling peoples' every day lives?
I'd prevent people from damaging their bodies and minds and that of others, therefore all mind altering substances would be destroyed, from caffeine and khat to meth. It's the same logic as any other law, a society filled with drug addicts cannot function, just as it cannot function if everyone was a conman, a murderer, a thief, etc.
>>
>>2111100
I'm not trying to "control you", I'm just stating facts.
>>
>>2111063
>Is Alcohol evil?
A chemical compound can't be evil or benign, those are traits of a thinking being.
>Was banned alcohol justified?
It's hard to say. The problem is that justification isn't actually, as we can see with gun control.
>>
>>2111163
Then see >>2111132
Go ahead and ban video games, and food that isn't good for you, most beverages that aren't all water.
Don't just push your agenda.

>>2111170
'Facts'
>>
Alcoholism is.

If bydlos are incapable of controlling themselves then banning alcohol is entirely justified
>>
>>2111095
This.
>>
>>2111182
A drunkard destroys property and assaults those around him, also stealing and whoring themselves to fund their addiction. Food that isn't good for you only has a direct effect on you, you consuming the food doesn't lead to abuse like alcohol does.
>>
>>2111183
But do the ends justify the means?
Lets say a sizeable chunk cannot, you get to tell those who can how to behave?
>>
>>2111190
>A drunkard destroys property and assaults those around him
Potentially. It's not a direct harm like beating another person would. It's part of the reason why beating people is illegal, but drinking isn't. You haven't done anything yet.

>Food that isn't good for you only has a direct effect on you, you consuming the food doesn't lead to abuse like alcohol does.
But the reason you want alcohol banned is for the good of the populace. A fat, slovenly, populous can't be good either. Nor is one who wastes days and days online playing games.
>>
>>2111202
The potential for harm to expand beyond the individual is much greater with alcohol than it is with unhealthy food
>>
>>2111229
Doesn't matter, it's all potential.
If I'm not causing direct harm, I should not be told what to do as a free human being.
>>
>>2111180
meant to say, justification isn't actually enough
>>
>>2111190
Those are some red hot generalizations my man.
>>
>>2111092
From my point of view the alcoholics are evil.
>>
No

No
>>
Were the temperance movement the SJWs of their time?
>>
>>2111063
Alcohol causes many ills because of its wide use in society but banning it is pure idiocy without cultural change first. Because it's piss easy to produce (you only need sugar, which is basically anything edible) banning it without changing culture is going to bring forth massive crime. So far only religion has been very working solution to changing culture and usage (ie. islam).
>>
>>2111163
>I'd prevent people from damaging their bodies and minds and that of others
so its an everyone in bubblewrap episode?
>>
>>2111063
Besides industrial and medicinal use, alcohol is an incredibly destructive substance that allows people to forgo the reasoning process and just do stupid shit.
>>
>>2111869
Yes.
SJW's are just a secularized version of all the dried up hags who hated fun things in the 20's.
>>
>>2111063
>Anti-Drug Campaigns are so mainstream, /pol/ now shits up on alcohol.
Every day, /pol/ becomes very similar to Islam.
>>
>>2111063
>is an inanimate chemical compound evil?
Yes
>>
File: prohibition.jpg (43KB, 374x400px) Image search: [Google]
prohibition.jpg
43KB, 374x400px
>>2111869

Yes.
>>
File: old professor.jpg (68KB, 616x905px) Image search: [Google]
old professor.jpg
68KB, 616x905px
>>2112134

oh boy what a pity
>>
Pretty.
I'd gladly sacrifice my occasional beer for an alcohol (drinking) free world.
Most people are too fucking idiotic to be trusted with alcohol.
I reckon it's also a rather shitty drug effect-wise.
>>
>>2111095
It just uninhibits people.
>>
>>2111869
sorta. Alcoholism was a massive problem at the time, and early temperance movements were "stop drinking so much like retards, especially hard liquor".

Then it degenerated into teetotalism and SJW tier rhetoric.
>>
>>2111063
Nah, alcohol is great fun.

As long as you don't abuse it.
>>
>>2112134
No wonder they where getting drunk 24/7, just look at that mess.
>>
>>2111095
Disagree, someone who is drunk can behave completely differently to how they are when they're sober. They could be a walking saint in their day-to-day lives but drink does things to some people. If they're a dick when they're drunk, then they're a dick when they're drunk. I wouldn't let that take away from their sober-self.
The sober person is who they really are, the drunkard is an animalistic shadow
>>
>>2111063
It's actual poison. It's not inherently evil but consumption of it should be treated carefully.

I'd say yes but I'm biased against alcohol.
>>
File: 1471825358498.jpg (147KB, 1148x746px) Image search: [Google]
1471825358498.jpg
147KB, 1148x746px
>>2112487
>Disagree, someone who is drunk can behave completely differently to how they are when they're sober. They could be a walking saint in their day-to-day lives but drink does things to some people.

Exactly.
The drunk person is who they really are on the inside.
It's their most primal and uninhibited state that will truly come out when they're stressed or on the brink.

Every "good and kind" person I know that has been an asshole when drunk has devolved back into the same selfish asshole when we were doing something significantly stressful.

Being a nice person when you're surrounded by every amenity, plenty of food and water, a warm or perfectly cooled room, etc... doesn't make you a good person on the inside.
It makes you someone that can function socially well despite your shitty inner personality.

Even just a short couple days in the woods when it's raining, cold, and there isn't a whole lot of food (hiking, hunting, camping, etc...) will bring out that inner person.

People that are gregarious and generous when drunk tend to be the best under pressure.
>>
>>2111063
イスラム教社会ではアルコールは禁止されている。
>>
>>2113090
People who drink regularly are relatively docile when they're drunk, some hardcore drunks remain the same even.

It's only people who get drunk once in a blue moon who use it as an excuse to behave like a piece of shit.

As a matter of fact I'd even go so far as to say if you've been drunk half a dozen times you should be accustomed to it effects and be able to remain relatively normal.

That's my experience anyway.
>>
>>2113149
Most people don't want to remain "normal" when drunk unless there's more partying to be had elsewhere or there's a cop around.
It's generally an excuse to let loose, social lubricant so you can be yourself.

And sometimes that inner self is an asshole.
>>
>>2111063
Is a boulder evil if it falls on someone and kills them, or is the man who pushed it down on him evil?
>>
>>2113179
Being more social and talky != violent belligerent asshole

literally the only people who turn into chimps when they're drunk are teenagers on babby's first experience with alcohol or people who are an emotionally unstable mess in the first place
>>
>>2113179
>>2113193
>needing alcohol to be social and talky
What's up with all these fucking autists. I can be sociable and maintain regular cognition at the same time
>>
>>2112134
>nothing of value was lost
>>
Fục alcohol
>>
>>2111063
Yes and yes. It failed because people gave into temptation anyways, and the shit is addictive and people don't act rationally about addictive substances.
>>
>>2112134

>implying half of them aren't men
>implying it's not obvious satire
>>
>>2111095
>le blame the user not the item meme
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.