[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

adapting history for children's books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 23549._UY475_SS475_.jpg (36KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
23549._UY475_SS475_.jpg
36KB, 475x475px
Did you read children's historical fiction when you were younger, either on your own or as part of a school assignment? Did you have any favorite books? Do you think reading these books helped spark an interest in the real historical events?

What do you think are the disadvantages and benefits of adapting history for children's books? Is it a useful way to introduce a historical event or period to children?

How do you think historical fiction for children changed over the last few decades? What do you think about the rise in historical fiction fantasy--books which combine historical events (usually in the form of Alternate History) with magic and other fantastical elements?
>>
File: 6661885-M[1].jpg (18KB, 180x279px) Image search: [Google]
6661885-M[1].jpg
18KB, 180x279px
>>2109244
Check out the "We Were There" series from the 50s and 60s. They did a pretty good job of inserting child viewpoint characters into historical events to get kids interested in history.
>>
Somewhat related, but I had to read a ton of children's novels set in WWII for a class last year and it was interesting to see the distinct differences between the books written by authors from Europe and authors from North America.

Aside from the most obvious difference--North American authors tend to write books that take place on the North American homefront--when it came to books that did take place in Europe, European authors were more apt to write books that contained what American authors would have considered too dark, gritty, or 'adult' for books aimed at children. Graphic descriptions of blood and death and dead bodies, mentions or even descriptions of rape, descriptions of ordinary people doing horrible things, etc, essentially not shying away from the violence of the situation when compared to novels written by Americans set in the same locations or types of events, which might contain death or violence but described it in such a bland or 'safe' way ("The bullet whizzed through the air and hit its mark. He was dead" versus a European book which described someone being shot and seeing the blood spray out and seeing their brain matter and smelling shit in the air).

In many cases, the European authors either experienced the war themselves, had their parents live through it, or were related to people who lived through the horrors of the war in Europe when compared to the American authors, who either had no direct ties to the war or whose relatives did not experience it directly either.
>>
>>2109309
did they ever do the Donner Party?
>>
File: 20161218_155755.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161218_155755.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
Ayyyyy, one of the better books about history I've read as a kid. I think even historical fiction can lead to an interest in history for kids
>>
>>2109796
most of the Scholastic 'diary' books (they had Dear America, Royal Diaries, My Name is America--then there's the international series, Dear Canada, I Am Canada, My Australian Story, etc) were pretty good. Although I've seen kids get confused when they think the diaries are real.
>>
>>2109244
>A Dear America Book
>My Name is America
Christ, Americans lay it on a bit thick
>>
>>2109864
The covers had "A Dear America book" on them because it was a spin-off of Dear America and they wanted to draw in the fans of the Dear America series to buy the new books. "My Name is America" is the name of the "boy journal" series, to differentiate it from the "girl diary" series of Dear America. The international Scholastic diary series' do the same thing.
>>
>>2109855
>Although I've seen kids get confused when they think the diaries are real.

I can understand children being confused, but grown adults thinking they're actual journals, and then getting mad when they find out they're not, is what boggles my mind.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.