[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Posted on Reddit and with no good replies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: image_0.jpg (73KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
73KB, 420x420px
1. Is morality subjective?

2. For the above question, I used the search feature on this board and looked through many posts and summaries of scholarly views. Every single one of these views, whether posted by the reddit user or citing philosophers, simply presents different conclusions based on different assumptions that are presented without evidence. I'm sure these assumptions are either seen as axioms or are deduced from prior axioms.

So, based on that, why the hell does nobody simple say, "Yes, it's subjective."? Why the hell is the can kicked one metre down the road by saying something like, "No, morality is objective as long as you believe in Philosopher X's 'Munich-Hedgehog-Footstool Metaphysical Epistomological Formulation of Ethics'", or towards any other axioms that you would then have to defend? Obviously this shifts the question to why I should trust the axioms to the system, but this is never answered (or admitted to be ultimately futile, or ultimately an appeal to emotion / intuition).

Feel free to ignore this paragraph if you're easily offended: It seems to me that anyone who chooses not to play the "Market your unfalsifiable theory based on evolution-religion-feelings" game self-selects their way out of philosophical discussion, so you'll rarely have someone like me who says, "Yes". But I know this board is sensitive to criticism of philosophy (i.e. meta-philosophy (i.e. philosophy, that you don't like)) so I won't go on and I am presenting things in this overly apologetic style. Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong.
>>
>>2103659
>reddit

dropped
>>
Morality is a spook.
>>
File: 1476760896129.png (804KB, 816x803px) Image search: [Google]
1476760896129.png
804KB, 816x803px
>it's a reddit philosopher thread

Still in college?
>>
>>2103671
would rather be in college than in high school tbph.
>>
Rule 1 of 4chan. Don't mention reddit.
>>
The "baseline" of morality has some of the properties of subjectivity.

You can decide the suffering of sapient beings is evil while their happiness is good, another person might decide that happiness is more important than alleviating suffering and someone else vice versa, someone else can say that good and evil is about virtues and someone else might declare liberty to be inherently good. All this looks very subjective.

However beyond this morality has to be logically consistent. You cannot exclude chimpanzees from the definition of sapience knowing that they have large brains similar in many ways to our own. You would have to create a new arbitrary moral like "humans are the only possible sapient beings". In this area morality is objective.

This in turn suggests that the original assertions are more valid and more "subjective" than ones created on a whim leading to a whole other debate.

I can't really answer your questions, but hopefully you can see the difficulties I am encountering.
>>
>>2103659
>So, based on that, why the hell does nobody simple say, "Yes, it's subjective."?
What are you smoking, like whoa nigga it's both I mean come on the will as a self determined entity can be negated as a subjective limitation, but also once the will reflects onto itself the limit is exceeded and thus it becomes objective like seriously man this is like Hegel 101 it applies to all forms of will including morality since morality is the will begin aware of its own freedom.
Dude like, open a book haha.
>>
>>2103659

Depends on what you mean by subjective. Ethical systems are as objective/subjective as math.

You may think that anthropology shows us that there are different ethical systems and that is enough to claim morality is subjective - but there are also different math systems and different systems of logic does that show mathematical and logical systems are subjective?.

You could say yes to both ethics and math- and that's at least consistent. But, that's not really how I think of subjectivity.
>>
>>2103746

Yes, the math systems are all subjective. I have said in other posts that the only distinction I make between science / maths and other parts of philosophy is that science / maths have much more commonly believed axioms and criteria for validity.

I think mentioning God is helpful in the context of objective morality. By objective they mean someone / something g coming in from some meta-universal-logical place to lay down "Objective Morality". Of course this could never happen so it doesn't exist. If God really did come down here I could disagree with him.

>inb4 "objective" in academic philosophy has a very specific meaning that is used to optimise the potential for unfalsifiable masturbation

I know this will happen. You always get people claiming that objective morality exists but if you ask them questions you eventually realise they have some sort of "morality must optimise human happiness / flourishing" criteria that they wanted to hide away. They choose the fucking criterion and then pretend they did it "objectively"!
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.