[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /his/ think about this quote?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (5KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 318x159px
“Small amounts of philosophy lead to atheism, but larger amounts bring us back to God.”
>>
>>2102154
wtf I'm a theist now
>>
bullshit mostly

yep t fedora
>>
>hey ever thought about A
>wtf I'm atheist now
>hey ever thought about B
>wtf I'm a theist now
>hey ever thought about C
>wtf I'm atheist now
Probably sums up the author's actual mental process, as it were.
>>
how to discredit though? For paper purposes
>>
>>2102196
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization
>>
>>2102154
Truly he is enlightened by his intellect.
>>
That might have been true pre-modern science. Once you add things like evolution, astronomy, and general background science things change. God gets crowded out into the gaps.
>>
>>2102255

Explain
>>
>>2102255
Why can't those things be an aspect of god? I mean if you define what science is it's just figuring out the rules of the universe, if you think about what God is it's just the being controlling the universe. Why can't scientific discoveries just be discovering specifics about how God works?
>>
>>2102154
Nice misquote you have there, faggot.
>>
>>2102259
It's pretty clear, though people deny it, that a materialist scientific positivist philosophy of the world has replaced the traditional religious one. For centuries Europe was deeply religious and then suddenly it's not in the 20th century. The difference is science, the industrial revolution, and mass education.

The Bible lays out a genealogy of the races of the middle east from the three sons Ham, Shem, and Japheth. A modern scientifically minded person with a realistic idea of human migration history and demography would think that silly. And that's the difference between now and then. The bible can be silly - when it contradicts the "science" ethos. In the past people would just take the Bible at its word.

Again people will deny, but when science > bible, when the bible can be though of as silly or "misinterpreted" at times, people stop taking the entire religion so seriously.

Another major example: the science of evolution suggests to us that life is created though blind and brutal trial and error. Not only is man just another animal rather than the special inheritors of earth given stewardship, but man was not even around for most of earth's history. Life is directionless and cruel, without plan until your grandchildren mutate a sickle cell to deal with the malaria that killed you and your ancestors for thousands of years. And it doesn't even work right. This is complete contradiction of the world view of Biblical religion. No surprise the idea of evolution was fought tooth and nail from day one.

People can pretend to still be religious, but most deep down now believe in a world of atheistic science without a god in which they've grafted the god into places it does not seem to contradict the higher ideology of scientific materialism. This is true of philosophers as well.
>>
>>2102154
It's shit.
>>
File: pepe24.jpg (14KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
pepe24.jpg
14KB, 251x242px
>>2102154
These bait threads are getting lazier and lazier. I swear there is a group of shitposters who exclusively troll around /lit/ and /his/ trying to kick up hollow religion debate to drive everyone off topic for fun.
>>
>>2102261
Then you have to throw out all formal religion, because it's all clearly anthropocentric and makes no mention of such ideas as evolution or atoms or outer space phenomena.

And when you throw out religion, what are you left with? No Jesus. No Mohammed. No prophets. No saints. No Zeus, no Athena, no Hermes. What's left, and why should anyone believe it when science more accurately explains physical phenomena?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.