[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't people like gaudy and ornamental aesthetics anymore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: baroque-art-22-638.jpg (148KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
baroque-art-22-638.jpg
148KB, 638x479px
Why don't people like gaudy and ornamental aesthetics anymore? When did this happen, and why?

And most importantly why does modern architecture make me want to vomit?
>>
>Art Nouveau and Art Deco are dead
There is no hope for man.
>>
>>2101778
Architecture died when the steel frame was invented. Just like photography killed painting,
>>
>>2101778
It happened when the material prosperity of the modern world made ostentatious displays like that too easy to achieve. It doesn't mean anything anymore. People do still like it; poor people that is.
>>
>>2102097
I mean is this really true though? It seems to me like you could just up the scale and it would be just as impressive, if not more so. Imagine a building as large as a skyscraper that looks like it came straight out of the 17th century and just as ornate. I feel like people (poor and not) would still be impressed.

The meaning would certainly be lost, but I think people would still be in awe of such detail and aesthetic.
>>
>>2101778
Altough I hate it, I have to admit that modern necesities and facilities make older architecture uncomfortable.

A lot of the 500+ years buildings in my city have a bitch of a time getting electricity and communication infraestructure properly setup in them, and even my slightly over 50 years old house makes it really hard to get a consistent internet connection across all the rooms due to thicker brick walls and such things.
>>
>>2102136
Yeah but we could no doubt incorporate styles of the past with more modern design for functionality purposes. Instead we get glass, steel, and concrete blocks.
>>
>>2102155
I guess, i'm not an architect so I could not appreciate a lot of the fine details of different styles. But I guess the more compatible aspects like finely sculpted patterns and shit would drive prices too high for the average joe.
>>
>>2102076
>Architecture died when the arch was invented. Just like tomb paintings killed cave painting.
>t. Imhotep
>>
File: 0g.jpg (35KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
0g.jpg
35KB, 640x425px
>this is considered cozy in the 21st century
>>
File: pre-nigger.jpg (53KB, 312x240px) Image search: [Google]
pre-nigger.jpg
53KB, 312x240px
>>2102179
>Architecture died when mammoth bone supports were invented. Just like how cave paintings killed soapstone carvings of sexualized obese women.
>t. Naman the Cro-Magnon
>>
>>2101778
Many architects being cunts and pretending they were too good to be disturbed by oh so inferior crafts so they could do pure architecture.
I had the unpleasant privilege of discussing i with one architecture student that went on the usual rant against "ornamentation" as if it was some form of impure leprosy on muh architecture.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.