[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Would Have Happened?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: 2016-12-16_19.14.22.jpg (674KB, 1892x1005px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-16_19.14.22.jpg
674KB, 1892x1005px
Alright /his/, I've got a fairly simple thread idea that I want to see you guys discuss over.

What do you think would have happened if the Allied Landings on Normandy failed?
>>
File: 1476841721445.jpg (98KB, 530x720px) Image search: [Google]
1476841721445.jpg
98KB, 530x720px
>>2101654
The world falls under the dark shadow of fascism..

Kidding. The Russians would still get them. It would just take a lot more time and a lot more lives.
>>
>>2101654

America would have dropped the nukes on Berlin and Munich instead.
>>
>>2101654
Nazi forces can now focus on the Eastern Front and try to repel all soviet offensive.
>>
>>2101654

How are you defining "failed"?

But most likely you'd still have pinned the forces to northern France near enough, especially with the extent of the Transport Plan, and you'd still have the southern landings.

Allied presence in France would be slower to expand, but less hampered by logistical issues, assuming they do as well in Dragoon as they did historically, and they instead reinforce their beachhead from there and expand upwards.

You'd see a slower Allied movement, and probably extension of the war by a few months.
>>
>>2101666
This. Also Western Europe would most likely become communists
>>
>>2101671
>and Munich
What the FUCK did we do
>>
>>2101698
Well we kind of need to fill a quota. I mean, one bomb isn't enough.
>>
>>2101698
nuthin personnel kid...
>>
File: 4.jpg (231KB, 815x723px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
231KB, 815x723px
In this comic the landings failed. The allied landed in the south of France (like IRL). De Gaulle died in a plane crash. Stalin stopped his troops and let the Allied had their own Stalingrad in Lyon and after the Wehrmacht was almost destroyed there the Soviets rushed to Paris. So they all fought for Paris and France is divided in two republics and Check Point Charlie is under the Eiffel Tower.
>>
>>2101654
Germany loses in 1946, the soviets take 1 million more casualties and end up controlling half of western europe
>>
>>2101849
Didn't the allies already decide on how to split up Germany? Or was that after the war?
>>
File: American-Normandy-Camo.jpg (276KB, 1024x753px) Image search: [Google]
American-Normandy-Camo.jpg
276KB, 1024x753px
>>2101654

There really is no scenario in which they could fail. The power of overwhelming force was simply too great by that point, if in your scenario we magically conjure up enough German troop and equipment strength to beat them back, you're changing variables that would alter the rest of the war so much as to be pure speculation.

When Rommel took over the Atlantic Wall he understood the area that would become Omaha beach to be a potential invasion point, as he recognized similarities to Italian invasion sites, and although it wasn't reinforced to the extent he requested, they came close. It was the bloodiest beach for that reason, but it still fell.

That extra German division at Omaha was unknown to the allies, but had the rest of the Atlantic Wall been so reinforced, it would have been obvious by air, so the Overlord plans would have been adjusted as well.

Operation Dragoon, the landing in Southern France, would have been a simultaneous invasion as originally planned. As well as Operation Swordhilt, in which Patton would have landed at Brest. Swordhilt was initially part of Overlord because it was assumed the Americans would need a bigger port.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.