[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one begin learning about philosophy, history, and the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1410059413386.jpg (32KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
1410059413386.jpg
32KB, 480x454px
How does one begin learning about philosophy, history, and the extensive world around them? Information is seemingly endless.
>>
>>2089976
Crack a book and start reading. 99% of people on this board over think and under act.
Places to start:
>History of Rome podcast
>Dialogues of Plato.
Free online. Start with Apology, Crito, Euthyphro, Phaedo. Only mandatory dialogue after that is the Republic. If you enjoyed the mandatory curriculum, read his other dialogues.
>Foundations of modern philosophy: Rationalism and Empiricism.
Read Decartes meditations and a summary on Hume's empiricism. Understand the distinction between a-priori and a-posteriori. Problem of induction.

From there you have a strong enough foundation to understand other philosophers. Philosophical knowledge begins like any other as memorization of facts, but over time changes your perspective until you undergo a paradigm shift in your thought process. Push through the lulls, a shift will come after you read and think enough. This assumes you have at least above average intelligence, if not don't bother with philosophy.
>>
>>2089976
Start with Plato and Aristotle.
>>
For philosophy I would start with idiots guide to philosophy and everything guide to philosophy for a general understanding. From there you can isolate particular spots of interest for you and do further research.

History is much more complicated.
>>
>>2089976
start with earliest known western works and go from there.

The western canon as traditionally defined is pretty good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Books_of_the_Western_World
>>
>>2089976
It's endless! While former posters had good advice just start where you want and focus on topics that interrest you, you can't finish!
>>
>>2089976
Start with the Greeks.
>>
i'd say start with the dictionary. learn the meanings of all the words in your language.
>>
File: 1473648472042.png (798KB, 827x715px) Image search: [Google]
1473648472042.png
798KB, 827x715px
>>2089976
I know how you feel.
Remember that you can't learn everything overnight. It takes a lot of time.
>>
File: O Brother Quote.png (115KB, 887x332px) Image search: [Google]
O Brother Quote.png
115KB, 887x332px
>>2089976
Simple, really.
Live your life.
Reflect on it, and you will derive all known philosophical problems.
Look back on it, and you will know history.
>>
>>2089976
http://philosophybites.libsyn.com/
http://historyofphilosophy.net/
>>
Nobody on /his/ will tell you this because they're shut-in's and misguided autodidacts but if you really want to understand philosophy (the history of ideas) you have to go to school and have somebody smarter teach it to you.
>>
>>2095053
False. You'll tell people that because you're a retard that lacks critical thinking abilities. In reality, going to history classes is fun and their is value in a history or philosophy degree. However the value is not in the actual information you collect it's in how you learned the papers you wrote the research you've done and how that can be applied to the real world. You can just start reading though and collect the same information that any history major could too.
>>
>>2092438
get the fuck out
>>
>>2095065
>False
Ok Trebek. I'm talking specifically about philosophy, which is too complicated and contextual to just sit down and read. If you don't know that Stirner is responding to Feuerbach, for instance, then you don't understand Stirner. And if you just sit down and read "Der Einzige" he doesn't mention Feuerbach by name once. So if you're just some fucking casual from 4chan you'd never know that Stirner's egoism is a refutation of Feuerbach's "Essence of Christianity."
>>
>>2092438
This is actually not a meme
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.