[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gods and Generals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 21105_front.jpg (1MB, 1630x1957px) Image search: [Google]
21105_front.jpg
1MB, 1630x1957px
Finally getting to see this. I've watched Gettysburg a half dozen times since it came out but only just realized Gods and Generals was supposed to be its prequel. A lot of the reviews online are pretty bad though, most implying its made by/for Confederate apologists. How bad is it really?
>>
It's great.

...but only if you like extremely long soliloquies by Stonewall Jackson.
>>
>>2088686
Normies cant handle it. It's one of those Historical Movies wherein you ask the director to be as anal as possible.

Also
>ZOMG PEOPLE WHO ARE ANTI-SLAVERY WERE IN THE CONFEDERATE ARMY LIKE IN ACTUAL HISTORY
>OMG THERE ARE SOUTHERN PEOPLE WHO TREATED THEIR SLAVES AS HUMAN BEINGS LIKE IN ACTUAL HISTORY
>APOLOGISTS!
>>
>>2089065
Yeah this too anon.

It was from an era where historucal movies tried to be as real and historical as possible.

If they made that movie today Stonewall Jackson would be played by Chris Rock and he'd be constantly apologizing for being such a politically incorrect racist.
>>
>>2089245
>Stonewall Jackson would be played by Chris Rock
Fund it!
>>
>>2089245
>It was from an era where historucal movies tried to be as real and historical as possible.
...early 2000s?
>>
it singlehandedly killed rising interest in the american civil war, and ensured that the third book in the series (gods and generals/Gettysburg/the last full measure) was never made into a movie

I remember not liking it.
>>
>>2089252
Well...I mean before the era of Hamilton and all history being portrayed in movies as completely modern diversified populations with 21st century politically correct sentiments.

So yes. Early 2000s prior to the Hamilton plague.

Plus it was made by us - OCD Austimal /his/ addicts with attention to detail.
>>
>>2089271
Gee you sure do hate Hamilton, huh?
>>
>>2089252
Yes, back when movies were truly historical, like Braveheart (1995).
>>
File: 1480506916057.jpg (258KB, 678x674px) Image search: [Google]
1480506916057.jpg
258KB, 678x674px
I enjoyed it a lot. The book was excellent as well. Gave me a face to hate of General Lee as he threw away the Souths best chance for victory on a dumb ass attack. But good movie can be a little slow at times though.
>>
>>2089274
Yeah it triggers my aut/his/m.
>>
>>2089274
Who doesn't?
>>
>>2089467
Most people considering it's the most successful musical in years
>>
>>2089617
Well it's a pretty retarded musical.
>>
>>2088686
You have to appreciate that it would be a lot harder to pull off than Gettysburg seeing as how G&G was centered around a single person's life throughout the war as opposed to a single battle.

>>2089309
Keep in mind, the South couldn't keep playing the defense otherwise the North would be able to just wait them out. Vicksburg was also close to falling at the time of Gettysburg so the Confederacy needed a win to overshadow that.
>>
>>2088686

Soundtrack and Special Effects were God-tier although it's still disappointing compared to Gettysburg, plot was disjointed (Gods and Generals compressed two years in the space of three hours, whereas Gettysburg covered three days). A film about Stonewall Jackson pretty much left out all of 1862 except for 10 minutes of Antietam and 30 minutes Fredericksburg (Stonewall Jackson's meteoric rise as a commander began in May, 1862 with the Valley campaign).

The Battle of Chancellorsville segment ends after the first day even though the fighting raged on for over a week.

Also, no mention of Stonewall Jackson's early life (his dysfunctional upbringing, firsthand experience fighting in Mexico, and the death of his first wife all shaped his religiosity in later life).
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.