[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Western Orthodoxy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1390855734507.jpg (2MB, 1815x1366px) Image search: [Google]
1390855734507.jpg
2MB, 1815x1366px
Redpill me on the lack of any substantial Western Orthodox tradition.

I know it exists in some capacity, but I fail to see why it hasn't spread more, given the amount of people that seem to be interested in converting to it.

There seems to be an interesting mix of different rites across the Western churches (e.g. Sarum, Liturgy of St. John the Divine, etc), it'd be nice to see some kind of coherence to it though
>>
where is constie?
>>
>>2086957
I'm surprised Orthodoxy isn't growing at a higher rate among western Christians.

Catholics are unhappy with Vaticain II and still dislike prots? Orthodoxy is here for you.

Want a more masculine, traditionalist take on Christianity that doesn't reject modern science and considers science and faith to have a rational marriage? Orthodoxy.

So many people don't know it exists or don't think about it when its perfect for today's culture.
>>
>>2086988
>that doesn't reject modern science and considers science and faith to have a rational marriage?

Catholicism has this too tbf
>>
>>2087002
True, I was relating it to the first point on Vatican II. If you want that without the modernist reforms, Orthodoxy is right here. And its catching on like wildfire in the west. Its the only piece of Christianity that isn't hemorrhaging male members.
>>
>>2087009
That I can agree with

I also like that Orthodoxy seems to place a bit more emphasis on mysticism. Catholicism has an absolute boatload of amazing mystical writers and practices, but the church do literally nothing with them
>>
>>2086988
>I'm surprised Orthodoxy isn't growing at a higher rate among western Christians.

they are attracting disaffected cathies, and proddies fleeing liberalisation of mainlines

>Christianity that doesn't reject modern science and considers science and faith to have a rational marriage? Orthodoxy.

Orthodoxy, particularly russian is gradually becoming YEC, influenced by american proddie fundies.
>>
>>2087025
>Orthodoxy, particularly russian is gradually becoming YEC, influenced by american proddie fundies.

The Russian Church is doing all sorts of embarrassing things. Cozying up with Putin's regime is only one of them. They're also blessing rifles and bombs headed to the war in Ukraine.

Yet, still, they aren't accepting YEC in large numbers. Americans prots are trying to pump literature in, but the Church isn't giving ground and the population isn't biting the bait...at least not yet.

What a sad day it is when American Protestantism is influential in the greater spectrum of Christianity. This could be the decline of faith if it catches on.
>>
>Russian Church

Thought Antioch was the main church for the West?
>>
>>2087056
Greek Orthodoxy and the Orthodox Church of America are the most popular representations of Orthodoxy in the USA.
>>
>>2087048
seems american yecs are trying to promote orthodox yecs

http://creation.com/orthodoxy-and-genesis-what-the-fathers-really-taught
>>
>>2087087
Its an old revisionist book that wealthy Americans are trying to push. Anything that starts with "what the Fathers REALLY taught" is bound to be bullshit. But sure, lets abandon thousands of years of doctrine and research and doctrine for a "look at me, give me attention" book and a for profit organization.
>>
Here's my quick, messy, not-super-accurate history of Christianity:

>The church hierarchy is set up by the emperor Constantine and his immediate successors
>The church is governed by four Super Priests, who are spread across the largest cities of the empire and are considered equally powerful (technically there's five, but Jerusalem doesn't do much)
>Each of these branches of the church is given the job of preaching to a massive swath of land
>Rome is put in charge of Western Europe, Constantinople is put in charge of eastern Europe, Antioch is put in charge of the Middle East, and Alexandria is put in charge of Africa
>Pretty soon, each of these branches begins to develop their own rituals, and they translate the bible to be in their native tongue (Latin, Greek, Syriac, and Coptic at first)
>Each of the Patriarchs (Super Priests) starts to think they are the only true leader of the church, and they all become basically independant
>The church shatters into four distinct branches
>But not for long
>A bunch of angry brown people shouting from the desert invade, shouting ALLAHU AKBAR, and take over the lands controlled by Alexandria, Antioch, and their shitty little brother Jerusalem
>That only leaves Rome and Constantinople, which we now call Catholicism and Orthodoxy, respectively

So the point is that from the very beginning "Orthodoxy" was explicitly given control over Eastern Europe, while "Catholicism" had control over Western Europe. By the time that either one was willing to openly challenge the other one for dominance, many centuries had already passed and they had already split Europe in two.
>>
>>2087326
The Bishop of Rome was always first among equals.

It will be interesting to see what happens when finally the Catholic and Orthodox Churches merge.
>>
>>2087326

So Constantine was a retard then?

Should have just had 1 Super Priest who had 4 lesser priests serve him in other regions.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.