[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can rational argument really change someone's opinion?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1GVkLCb.jpg (93KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1GVkLCb.jpg
93KB, 800x600px
Can rational argument really change someone's opinion?
>>
Nah
>>
>>2081443
Heh, no. They wouldn't perceive it as rational argument.
>>
>>2081443
people aren't rational

ala /pol/9k
>>
>>2081443
It changed mine. Actually kind of bullied me into it.
>>
>>2081443
Sometimes. I guess.
>>
people deep down know when they get #btfo in a debate

most just tuck it away and forget about it and carry on the next like it never happened
>>
>>2081443

Not to sound holier-than-thou, but mostly no. You have to want to be able to change your opinion. Most of us don't want to change our opinions and will rationalize away any compelling evidence that contradicts them, even if the contradictory evidence is rationally supported.
>>
>>2081655
I don't think OP had debates in mind. Or at least, solely debates.
For example, learning economics has changed my opinion of government somewhat.
>>
Only if people understand it and there are many obstacles that can interfere with them understanding something.

Imagine if special relativity triggered some people and they tripped over themselves to make it seem as though all the experimental evidence and logical conclusions were somehow magically racist. Most people wouldn't get past step 1 to learning about it and there is little chance of them fully understanding. People who know special relativity is real wouldn't mention it out of fear of getting fired and becoming unpopular and soon people would rarely hear about it.
>>
not usually
thats why there are so many atheists and creationists
>>
>>2081443
It depends on the person and the argument.
>>
>>2081443
Only those who value reason and logic, like myself.
>>
>>2081443
>Can they?
Absolutely
>Will they?
Usually not
>>
>>2081443
Lol fuck no
>>
Most likely, but I've noticed that when people think they're arguing rationally they're actually not, so it seems like it's impossible.
>>
>>2081443
it depends on the listener's perception of the speaker and vice versa, it depends on the context of the conversation
>>
>>2081443
They can it just requires pre-set definitions and people with the maturity to get to the end of an arguement respectfully without resorting to fallicies. The goal for both people in the arguement should be to come to a conclusion they can agree on, not for one to win no matter what. Another point is to agree on credible sources (this is a big issue especially nowadays when people reject widely accepted and peer-reviewed research as propaganda)
With the proper ground rules and right people I've changed many an opinion and Ive had mine changed as well.
Sadly its a rare occurance.
>>
>>2081443

Concerning politics/beliefs, events change people, not rationals arguments.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.