[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Logic considered a branch of Philosophy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3867.jpg (287KB, 1000x1500px)
IMG_3867.jpg
287KB, 1000x1500px
Why is Logic considered a branch of Philosophy?
>>
>>2076574
because his rhymes are too complex for the common man to comprehend
>>
>>2076574
It is actually a branch of mathematics.
>>
>>2076685
Isn't Mathematics some sort of applied Logic?
>>
>>2076574
Because of history
>>
>>2076574
Philosophy was once "Natural Philosophy" the investigation of all things.

And earlier on than that, the fight was between

"Sophists" who believed the purpose of intellect was to persuade with 'rhetoric', the truth is immaterial so long as others believe it. (See 1984's fictional government ethos)

And

"Philosophers/Platonists" who believed rhetoric was powerful but could be used for evil at the expense of the truth. (Though they did not themselves necessarily possess the truth)

(I hesitate to call them all Platonists, but the label works for a cursory explanation.)

Literally, if you cared about logical fallacies, you were a philosopher.

If you were willing to indulge in things like 'post hoc ergo propter hoc' you were a sophist or a rhetorician.

Thus the historical attachment to the philosophic tree.
>>
Ethics is just applied logic, kid.
>>
>>2076774

So the sophists were the old ideological version of American liberals (writ large, in general), while the Platonists/philosohpers/etc were the old ideological version of American conservatives (writ large, in general). Interesting!
>>
>>2076574
Is it?
>>
>>2076924

Both American liberals and conservatives are sophists. Just look at any debates between the two, it is all appeal to emotions.
>>
>>2076924
I'm going to go ahead and say it.

>most politicians in the US are full of shit, regardless of party affiliation
>>
>>2076945
This.
>>
philosophy is the interpretation of existence. logic is a set of abstract concepts that provide consistent results that people sometimes use as a tool to use when interpreting existence.

>>2076685
completely fucking wrong.

>>2076825
completely fucking wrong.
>>
>>2076653
underrated
>>
>>2076945
>>2076953

The both of you seem to have made the mistake of thinking that I had been referring exclusively to active American party politicians (democrats and republicans), while I did not directly invoke those party terms in the above post. I instead indicated /liberals and conservatives/, in the American political senses of those terms, which of course apply to the general population in certain ways, and are clearly not limited to the political class itself. Hence the writ large which concluded the observation's clauses.
>>
>>2077032
logic is a branch of mathematics and philosophy you fucking dingus
>>
>>2077058
maybe in your class schedule at school. not in reality. there are some really simple ways to figure this out, too. look up the definition of logic, then the definition of mathematics, and try to see which one fits into the other. here's another easy one. which one deals strictly with numbers, and which one deals with all things including numbers? ooo here's another one for simple brains: an if/then statement has nothing to do with mathematics unless you include numbers, yet an if/then statement can exist without numbers.
>>
>>2077138
>what is set theory
>what is propositional calculus
>who is bertrand russell
>what are variables
>what is computer programming

think before you type you fucking moron. I just graduated a phil/math double major
>>
>>2077138
so math is a subfield of computer science? foh
>>
>>2077144
all of those things are subject to logical principles. ironic that you make a fallacious argument from authority to defend yourself when you're oh-so-apparently educated in this field.

>>2077156
yes, and programming is a subfield of logic.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.