[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why wasn't he persecuted by the Church

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: newton.jpg (9KB, 235x328px) Image search: [Google]
newton.jpg
9KB, 235x328px
the same way Galileo was?
>>
his science didn't contradict church teachings.
>>
>>2075416
Italy Versus Englad
>>
>>2075416
He didn't talk shit about his betters.
>>
Galileo wasn't persecuted by the Church because of what he said, but because of how he said it.

Just look at the ruling on Galileo's writings

>If there were a true demonstration that the sun is at the centre of the
world and the earth in the third heaven, and that the sun does not
circle the earth but the earth circles the sun, then one would have to
proceed with great care in explaining the Scriptures that appear
contrary, and say rather that we do not understand them than that what
is demonstrated is false. But this is not a thing to be done in haste,
and as for myself I shall not believe that there are such proofs until
they are shown to me.

The ruling accepts that Heliocentrism might be true, and later on when Heliocentrism was proved with sufficient evidence, the Church followed through and reconsidered their position.

Galileo was a cretin who didn't have sufficient proof for his theory and was unnecessarily caustic to anyone who criticised him
>>
>>2075465
Yep, Galileo was right, but without any proof; he asserted his unsupported claim like a dickwad.
>>
I think the root of it is that he didn't consult the church enough before hand
>>
>>2075669

He did consult the church. And when the church told him not to start teaching that stuff as truth until he had enough proof and they had gotten enough time to prepare themselves for the religious shitflinging that might happen when heliocentrism is proven right, he told them "fuck you, I'll do whatever I want".
>>
>>2075416
He kept most of his findings to himself.
>>
>>2075416
The church wasn't some evil gestapo trying to stop all scientists from telling the truth. The only thing Galileo was persecuted for was being a complete and utter retard.
>be Galileo
>create theory that disagrees with both scriptural interpretation and contemporary science (everyone seems to forget the latter for some reason)
>Cardinal Roberto Bellarmine tells me that I can only teach the concept as a hypothetical phenomenon/calculating device, but also that the church can and will reinterpret scripture if I can provide conclusive evidence and overcome scientific objections to my theory
>I agree, but then go and teach it as fact anyway
Galileo obviously had the last laugh in this debate, but at the same time it would be unfair to consider him the "rational" one in it.
>>
>>2075416
Newton didn't go around flinging shit at the Pope like Galileo did. Plus Newton was in a protestant country.
>>
Because perfidy. It's a good thing, you know.
>>
>>2075855
were protestant countries at the time more open to science than catholic countries?
>>
>>2076088
In the 18th century? Are you kidding? There weren't any countries that weren't "open to science"
>>
>>2076088
Netwon was a heretic vis a viis the Anglican Church, Not for his scientific views but for his spiritual ones. But he was never prosecuted for it, and was still buried in an honored spot.

Voltaire remarked on how praiseworthy this was. His friends had to rush to get him buried property before church officials could restrict it (A heretic or an apostate is not suppose to be buried in a Catholic cemetery)
>>
>>2075465
Funny thing is, if Galileo incorporated what Kepler had known, he could have made a better argument.

Instead, he went full retard and went on a diatribe against the Pope and got fucked in the ass. Now he's gone down as this big anti-Religion martyr by people who have no idea what actually happened
>>
>>2076088
The Catholic Church wasn't anti-science, it was anti-Say bad shit about the head of the Church.
The Catholic Church has, and still is been pro-Science.

Galileo went around spitting vitriol at the pope at the height of the Counter Reformation.
>>
>>2075416
England wasn't a center of such a ridiculously authoritarian church at the time.
>>
>>2075465
Except Copernicus had already proven heliocentrism with math 60 years before Galileodid his work. It had nothing to do with proof. The church literally refused to use telescopes because they believed them to be tools of the devil. They were set in their beliefs and didn't change them until the general public did centuries later.
>>
>>2077104

Fuck the pope.
>>
>>2075416
Because of his sexy hair. I mean look at him.
>>
>>2077104
Fuck the pope.
>>
File: wat.jpg (109KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
109KB, 640x448px
>>2077804
>The church believed telescopes to be the work of the devil.
>t. Fedora that does not understand the scientific method, discovery of knowledge, or history in general
>>
He wasn't living under a papist tyranny.
>>
>>2077804
He had made a model based on a perfectly circular orbit of planets but found that that model too was faulty.
>>
File: 1475514000579.jpg (25KB, 433x380px) Image search: [Google]
1475514000579.jpg
25KB, 433x380px
>>2077804
>Hey thanks [Renaissance Architects and Inventors] for inventing all this cool shit to help build shit and navigate the world, please take these Papal endorsements
>Yo, Galileo, this tube that makes you see far is the Devil

Do people unironically believe this? Is this the Fedora Version of being a creationist?
>>
>>2075743
Why should Galileo conform to the will of the church? Besides from the obvious repercussions, isn't it better to stick by your convictions?
>>
>>2079049
The will of the Church was that he was allowed to teach his theory in class if he taught it alongside the geocentric Ptolemaic system.

He ignored that, only taught his (unproven) model and called the pope an asshat.
>>
>>2079073
I guess he's pretty stupid to go up against the pope but he turned out to be right. How much of what he said was unproven and to what extent was it unproven?
>>
>>2079080
He couldn't prove his heliocentric model, he used his telescope to disprove an absolute geocentric model but he never managed to prove a heliocentric model.

He proved that moons orbited another planet like Venus or Jupiter thus discrediting an absolute geocentric model.

The heliocentric-geocentric thing is a spectrum in which you can provide a number of different theories. The church settled for the system of Tycho Brahe which is a partial geocentric model.

What Galileo lacked was a telescope accurate enough to show a stellar parallax, but those wouldn't be around until the 18th or 19th century.

Kepler brought in the adjustments to the heliocentric model that allowed it to explain appearant retrograde movement. Since Galileo flat out ignored Keplers work his theory had a bunch of holes in it that the prevailing scientists of the time pointed out, the church sided with the other scientists.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.