[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he deserving of the fame? >caught in the eye of the British

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

Is he deserving of the fame?

>caught in the eye of the British media for the battle of el-Alamein...
>... a battle he'd won against Rommel, although Rommel was on sick-leave for the majority of the battle...
>... and despite the fact that his feint to the South of strategic irrevelance, meaning the battle turned into a long battle of attrition which he only won because of bigger numbers
>doesn't want to risk defeat, and lose his fame as a British hero, and therefore leaves Rommel's army free to escape in good order
>is so slow fighting in Sicily, that Patton who was dropped on the western side of the island reaches Messina before he does
>grinds down the Allied advance in Italy with the slow-as-hell movement of his army
>fails to capture an undefended Caen on the first day of the Normandy, sacrificing the lives of thousands of his own troops, and French civilians when his strategy instead becomes "lmao bomb it"
>leaves the German army free to escape the Falaise pocket
>Market Garden

There are many that are worst than he was (Fredendall, Clark, the entire Japanese naval command), though none are endowed the fame and reputation Monty has of being a good commander.
How and why is he remembered like this?
Are there too many things I've cherry-picked?
>>
File: 1464488641160.jpg (477KB, 1280x929px) Image search: [Google]
1464488641160.jpg
477KB, 1280x929px
>doesn't want to risk defeat, and lose his fame as a British hero, and therefore leaves Rommel's army free to escape in good order

IIRC He did this because every other General who tried against Rommel made this exact mistake, Rommel worked very well when on the move and since Monty refused to retreat that meant that one of Rommel's big sources of supplies, The retreating British had dried up. Had Montgomery tried to rout Rommel he may have succeed but he also been forced to retreat like the ones who preceded him. However I can't really speak for the rest of his actions but I'd assume that there were similar reasons for them.
>>
>>2075184

A huge case of winners write history, same with Churchill. Brits are overrated in general and would get their shit smacked easily without the yankees and even if they somehow managed to hold their ground, the slavs would have raped them after the war. All of this despite being a juggernaut of a country with colonies everywhere and a superior navy.

The anglos in WWI and WWII are nothing but an embarassment, considering how hard they got slapped every time.
>>
>>2075184
In my opinion he isn't deserving of his fame. In the build up to El-Alamein, he gave the British troops a renewed sense of direction and purpose. He was an excellent trainer of men and managed to instill confidence in those under his command. Despite that, he had a habit of pissing people off, especially his superiors, and often was too cautious to see through any great victories. He had confidence though, and the British media needed someone like that to promote. These days he isn't as admired as he was in the 70s and 80s, which is probably a good thing. Trying to write a sensible answer in this thread before all the anglo-hate floods in
>>
>>2075340
t. buttblasted Kraut
>>
>>2075319
>IRC He did this because every other General who tried against Rommel made this exact mistake,
Thank you for the sensible answer. And I've lengthened my reading of the battle, and it seems that Rommel robbed his italian allies for the purpose of both leaving the Itlain forces stranded for the British to be preoccupied with them first, slowing any advance for Montgomery, and also having his hands on large swaths of fuel should Montgomery carelessly have chased Rommel's tail and opened up the possibility for Rommel to counter-attack with tanks.

>>2075378
>he gave the British troops a renewed sense of direction and purpose.
True enough, thanks! I have indeed read that he was biding his time for such a span of months before launching El-Alamein to personally oversee the retraining of the 8th army's reinforcements, which eventually neutralized Rommel's profiencicy in tanks with the now-hardened British soldiers able to use anti-tank guns with ease.
>>
>>2075184
>>fails to capture an undefended Caen on the first day of the Normandy, sacrificing the lives of thousands of his own troops, and French civilians when his strategy instead becomes "lmao bomb it"
fails largely because the only german counter attac of any force hit the thrust towards caen, and his initial goals were deliberately ambitious. failing to take caen he used it to pin down and grind down the german forces while the americans took cherborg and set up for operation cobra (he had overall command until after cobra was carried out) his attacks at Caen meant that the american breakout only faced a relatively weak front as the majority of the german armor was trying to hold back the british around caen.

because the last time rommels army was driven back the british overstretched in pursuit and got cut up very badly in the counter attack

>leaves the German army free to escape the Falaise pocket
bradley failed there.

>Market Garden
not entirely his fault, there were a few things that went wrong such as the americans failing at one of their bridges and a fucking panzer division sitting that close to arnhem. it was a risy plan that nearly came off and which would have drastically shortened the war, as it was the casualties werent that heavy.

on the plus side which OP neglects he did far better than the americans in the finishing of the north africa campaign and handled his part of the battle of the bulge very well indeed -admittedly less well in the press conference - moving XXX corps to block the germans on the meuse and handling the american units placed under his control very well.

he also handled his rhine crossing and the clearing of the approach to the rhine very well.
>>
>>2077324
americans tend to be silent about the failures of american generals but many americans commanders had black marks on their records every bit as bad as anything monty had.

hodges got far more men killed trying to get through a bit of woods than died in market garden.

patton was absolutely stumped at metz for a good while longer than he should have been.

mark clark should in all honesty have been relieved for insubordination over his drive to rome

and bradley didnt handle the bulge that well
>>
>>2077324
Thanks a bunch! These were the answers I was searching for.
>>
To understand Monty you must remember WWI.

He didn't want to be Haig.

He was conservative and safe.

No Englishman wanted to see ridiculous Somme-like offensive battles, with needless and wasteful losses of manpower.

Monty played safe, played defense, went for the tactically sound counterpunch, played the long waiting game.

It would have been ridiculous for him to be all Rommel or Patton like.

I doubt he would have lasted long or had the love of the English people if he was wastefully throwing around his men in wild offensive gestures.
>>
>>2075184
>blames market garden on the Poles because he's too egotistical to admit defeat
seems like a cunt desu
>>
Piece of shit known for his blunders and his tendency to destroy the lives of people he didn't like.
>>
>>2079135
He blamed it on the one guy who had objections to his plans. He ended his life working in a warehouse.
A fucking general.
>>
>>2079161
whats his fucking problem?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.