[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could anyone recommend me some documentaries or books on how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: nnn.jpg (13KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
nnn.jpg
13KB, 261x193px
Could anyone recommend me some documentaries or books on how new york went from a shithole full of gangs to the mega city it is now? just really curious and couldnt find anything on that in particular
>>
Gangs of new york
Escape from new york
Cloverfeilds
The simpsons movie
>>
>>2073977
none of those are documentaies
>>
>>2073973

gentrification
>>
>>2073973
>Once the Foot Clan fell the city really came together on its own.
>>
>>2073973
Crack went out of fashion.
>>
Death Wish 1-5
>>
>>2073973
You know it is very interesting I don't have a documentary but I can give some information from the older members of my family, so obvious it is not very objective.
To them it was a couple of big things.
>Coming down harshly on the little crimes that didn't hurt people but made people uncomfortable
>Long term building projects, basically building infrastructure in areas that it might not be economically viable for a decade.
>In some areas strong commnites of outcasts gays, artists ect.. were able to build tight nit communities that better eregulated crime.
>Classical gentrification were giant building projects could be built on land that had become less than dirt cheap
>Real increases in police power at the expense of personal freedoms.

This all applies to New York and the surrounding cities to various degrees.
>>
My mother grew up in nyc in the 60s and 70s, it wasn't nearly as big of a shit hole as people like to portray it, you just needed to be more cautious and couldn't do stupid shit like walk around totally drunk or ride the subway at 2 am. No go areas are still the same today they were 30 years ago they just shrunk. Blue collar neighborhoods where maybe you'd get mugged in a worst case scenarios have turned into hipster meccas now.
>>
>>2075501
>Coming down harshly on the little crimes that didn't hurt people but made people uncomfortable
I saw something interesting about this once. Basically, cops usually think 'why bother with small crimes when there is real work to be done etc', but it turns out that the people who do the little crimes tend to also do the bigger crimes, so tackling less important crime takes criminals that would commit worse crime out of the picture + you catch a lot more people with outstanding warrants etc, and it acts as a deterrent because the police seem more pro-active.
>>
80 Blocks from Tiffany's shows the atmosphere of the day, but I don't know if it details the shift.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.