[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Diocletian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: Diocletian.jpg (54KB, 640x850px) Image search: [Google]
Diocletian.jpg
54KB, 640x850px
>>
File: 1466240212892-his.png (464KB, 499x562px) Image search: [Google]
1466240212892-his.png
464KB, 499x562px
The first Byzantine Emperor

Why does /his/ hate Diocletian, anyway?
>>
The hero we needed.
>>
>>2073969
He should've lived longer
>>
Diocletian was best goy.
>>
>>2073969
I rate him 1/4
>>
>>2074280
And what? Grew more cabbages?
>>
File: diocletian_cabbages.jpg (80KB, 640x566px) Image search: [Google]
diocletian_cabbages.jpg
80KB, 640x566px
>>2073982
>Why does /his/ hate Diocletian, anyway?

I think /his/ somewhat likes him. A lot of people generally (the sort of nonces who enjoy history anyway) dislike him either due to believing that he was a dickhead persecutor of Christians, or believe that he was responsible for instituting the repressive Dominate system of the later Roman Empire, and believe the sources that say he bankrupted the empire by growing the army. In actual fact he was pretty great, unlike most emperors he actually attempted to reform the economy (even if it failed), he strengthened the frontier defences, reformed the office of imperator itself to try and stop the chaos of the Third Century Crisis from reoccurring, instituted the Tetrarchy which if not for the disgusting ambition that Roman generals tended to have might have saved the empire, etc.

He was definitely one of truly great emperors, and certainly one of the last ones worthy of merit. He is definitely better than the incredibly overrated Constantine and far more deserving of the title the "Great". The only later emperors in the west that somewhat match up to him are Constantius III and Majorian.
>>
>>2073969
If only he had tried a little bit more...
>>
>>2074289
HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>2074313
Majorcan was so bad ass. His fate makes me sad honestly.
>>
File: laughing_tetrarchs.jpg (242KB, 1000x673px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_tetrarchs.jpg
242KB, 1000x673px
>>2074289
>>
File: 1475389993995.png (264KB, 487x726px) Image search: [Google]
1475389993995.png
264KB, 487x726px
I don't hate Diocletian. I can appreciate he was doing his best to remedy almost half a century of civil wars, instability, and economic disruption. I won't deny that I dislike some of the things that his reforms led to, but he was a good guy.

I actually think Diocletian was a better Emperor than Constantine or Justinian, for one.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.