[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any truth to this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20161210_201044.jpg (71KB, 600x299px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161210_201044.jpg
71KB, 600x299px
In today's world, people often have the notion in their heads that the American Civil War was fought over slavery, or the Southern states' rights to own slaves. In this writing I will explain to you why this was not the case. Let us discover the truth about the Civil War.

As many of you all know, even in the early days of the US the abolition movement was fairly active. Because of this, there was a deal among politicians that they could only add slave states to the Union when they had a non-slave state to add to the Union at the same time (and vice versa), to keep a "stalemate" between the two factions (slavery was ruled to be decided by the senate, not the house of representatives to maintain this stalemate). If this is sounding like a bad idea already, good. it was, at even the basic core principals, a bad idea.

This created two things: a tangible, geographical, and ideological political divide between the North and the South, and pure unadulterated violence between carpetbaggers (people moving to new territory specifically to vote one way or another). Check out "Bloody Kansas" for more information. Now, this may have "worked" for a while, except for two things: the Industrial Revolution and the War of 1812.

The Industrial Revolution in America caused a population boom in the North. people moved from all over to seek jobs in American factories, swelling the numbers or registered voters far beyond what was going on in the South (where the majority of the land and economy was based on "cash crops," instead of industry)
however, these Northern industries sucked (compared to the British, which were far more advanced and capable at the time).

Enter the War of 1812. Britain embargoes the US for a few years while some unimportant (to this topic) fighting goes on. Then it ends. During the war, Britain's factories didn't stop making goods. The catch was that their biggest buyer couldn't buy the goods due to the embargo.
>>
They were forced to move their products at a loss (and to great gain for the Southerners). The Northern factory owners started crying and throwing fits. "But Mr. Congressman! Those dirty stupid Southerners want to buy spades and shovels for $4 from England instead of paying me $8 for the same one! make it stop!"

So, Congress says "Hey, let's pass a ridiculous tariff and support our local sucky factories. Forget the South. They have money." The South doesn't like this. they would much rather that the North put out good products than have to pay more. Too bad. Due to the bigger population in the North this ridiculous tariff passes in the House of Represenetives. So now, the Southern farmers have to pay $8 for a Northern spade or $12 for a British one. At this point, they feel like they're being taxed unfairly, so they say "Look. States should be able to decide this kind of stuff, not the federal government." The federal government says "Screw you, give me money." The South then tthreatens to secede. Elections happen. One candidate is sympathetic to the South, the other isn't. You know who wins.

Therefore the South says "Forget this, we're out." At this point, the North is screwed and they know it. They can't survive without the South. That's where all the money is coming from (Southerners are the only buyers of their bad spades, since Britain is still selling theirs for $4 a pop to get rid of their excess). They know that if the South leaves the Union, they can't force them to buy their goods, and then the economy is going to flip.

The Confederacy is formed and the Civil War begins.
>>
Now, up in the North, we have President Lincoln who suspends the writ of Habeas Corpus without Congressional approval. Anyone who speaks out against that is arrested and held without trial. Congress says "No, no, this is OK because we want it." Lincoln emancipates slaves ONLY in the South (Tennesee and good 'ol Kentucky are still rocking the automated farm equipment until after the war), then burns down Southern infrastructure. He pins a medal on Ulysses S. Grant for winning an inconsequential battle with several times more losses (just throw more conscripted men away. Eventually they'll run out of ammo!). He then proceeds to gets shot in the head. Now he's a hero who wanted to end slavery and anyone who says otherwise is evil.

And now you know the truth about the American Civil War. Thanks for reading.
>>
The US civil war was caused by dumb inbred southerners that were too stupid to realize that slavery is wrong. Anybody who disagrees is a fat white republican shill.
>>
>>2072111
t. nigger
>>
>>2072123
t. Drumpfcuck
>>
>>2072065
That pic reminds me of the Lenin quote about Fascism being Capitalism in decline
>>
>>2072111
But the Republicans won the Civil war.
>>
>>2072125
t. Libshit
>>
>>2072133
Not an arguement
>>2072131
>republicans burn down the south
>now southerners exclusively vote republican
Shows you how dumb the south really is
>>
>>2072130
I'd agree if it were "under assault".

Capitalism, by virtue of being an emergent phenomenon, can never "Decline", it can only by hampered by outside forces.
>>
>>2072073
>and now you know the truth about x
Why is it that everything I read that contains this line turns out to be bullshit?
>>
>>2072236
Because it's actually the truth and the people debunking it are lying to you.

And now you know the truth about bullshit.
>>
File: 1Xn5cXU.jpg (54KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1Xn5cXU.jpg
54KB, 625x626px
>>
File: civil war about slavery.png (1MB, 1864x4327px) Image search: [Google]
civil war about slavery.png
1MB, 1864x4327px
The people who instigated the civil war were rich land owners. They only cared about staying rich.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.