[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

East-West divide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1459661471155.png (175KB, 1000x4227px) Image search: [Google]
1459661471155.png
175KB, 1000x4227px
There's always been this East West Divide in Europe. A sort of culture clash seemingly has always been present, at least in my opinion it has. The cultures of eastern and western europe seem very different to me at least to me.

>Byzantines vs HRE and Western Europe
>Russia vs West Europe alot
>Cold War
>Great Schism

It seems like East and West Europe have always been at it. My question is that could Constantine dividing the Roman Empire into East and West have caused this sort of cultural and religious divide throughout the ages?

Thoughts? pic semi related I guess
>>
>>2068199
Excuse the typos please. I've been drinking some
>>
>>2068199
>Byzantines
>East Yurop

Russia is the way it is because they were occupied by the Mongols for such a large time, which led to a divergent culture which was a blend of Mongol-Asian culture and European culture, plus some of their own.

Byzantines and
>H
>R
>E
were more about religious differences than anything else. But what wasn't in those days? No easier way to get men to fight for you than claim it is in the name of God.
>>
>>2068199
But Britain spends the 2% NATO asks and can defend itself with it's two aircraft carriers and nukes?
>>
>>2068199
East - West divide also happens on world scale, I think thats why asians called us "westerners"
>>
>>2068332
They actually used to call the Near East and Central Asia the "West" for most of history
>>
>>2068199
I don't think that Constantine had to do with it. Personally I think that it was Rome's existence in general that sparked this.

If you trace back the origins of western culture and civilization, you will find that, by and large, the legal, linguistic, cultural, and religious systems that define "Western" civilization all mostly originate from Rome. Romanization introduced a monolithic culture to a lot of western Europe and unified it in a way that had never happened before, and has not happened since.

This basically means that Western Europe, the areas which were either a part of Rome or later folded into the Catholic Church, became a broad cultural union in the age of globalization, thanks to similarities in culture etc.

Areas like Russia, the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa, China etc. were never Romanized or brought under the control of the Catholic Church during the early days when it exerted control over society. This means that they never adopted western culture - thus, they have a different religion, culture, legal tradition, linguistics, etc.

These differences inevitably contribute to conflict.
>>
It goes back to the division of the Roman Empire. But that division didn't happen randomly, it followed a deep cultural divide.

The East was on the corpse of ancient dead civilisations like Egypt and Mesopotamia, wiped away and Hellenised by Alexander. But it was also where a new civilisation was taking shape, that of Judaism, Eastern Christianity, and Islam.

The West was comparatively barbaric land that was only recently civilised, becoming the cultural periphery of the East. Until one day the West birthed its own civilisation which conquered the world.
>>
>>2068199
During the Late Antiquity the bigger divide was North and South, that was the bigger culture clash. And it was Diocletian who split the empire in two.
>>
File: 1473537875234.gif (564KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
1473537875234.gif
564KB, 800x430px
>>2068199
>Thoughts? pic semi related I guess
>Mfw people ACTUALLY believe that Russia, with its anaemic economy and insignificant defence budget, comparable to that of the UK alone, is a military threat to the EU because of muh red army and muh ww2 muhfugga
>>
>>2069427
>Mfw people ACTUALLY believe that 3rd Reich, with its anaemic economy and insignificant defence budget, comparable to that of the France alone, is a military threat to the Europe because of muh Prussian army and muh ww1 muhfugga
I wouldn't be so confident. While Ivan is inferiour in training, manpower and technology. He is superiour in "political mobility", doctrine, WMD and propaganda, so there is some potential for succesful Russian blitzkrieg.

Altough as you've pointed out OP's pic is the standard ignorant Russia-stronk posting.
>>
>>2069427
This. Statistics show Russia would have a hard time beating Turkey in a war.

>>2069456
Russia's dead economy means its entire influence is based off military alone, but their military isn't even that powerful. they live off their own reputation.
>>
>>2069570
>This. Statistics show Russia would have a hard time beating Turkey in a war.

True. Also who the fuck seriously believes the rotten russian state and economy would be able to support a drawn out large scale war.
>>
>>2070073
If you read the comments in online articles of newspapers about the war in Syria or Ukraine there are a lot of people who believe that Russia is da most STRONKEST.
>>
>>2068294
>>2069427
I would say the comic is more of a comment on how Western Europe shits on America constantly but when Russia bullies Eastern European countries, they run to America and ask them to protect their vassal states.

Cause lets be honest here. A lot of Eastern European countries are practically economic vassals of countries like Germany or Britain.
>>
>>2071018
You mean paid shills?

Yeah, they swarm the comments section for any news article focusing on China too, with pidgin english.

The fact that Putin wastes money paying people to hype up his name on the internet is telling.
>>
File: dumb_craneposter.jpg (45KB, 433x650px) Image search: [Google]
dumb_craneposter.jpg
45KB, 433x650px
>>2068199
Nihon-chan is cute. CUTE!
>>
>>2069341
But the Hellenzied east echos a lot of the Greek culture that was adopted by Rome? I mean a lot of Rome's cultural themes seem to follow Greece's with the major exception of Latin being the lingua Franca of the empire. Or do I just not know enough?

I mean, thinking about it now, could the culture differences be more between the more Hellenzied east and the more Germanic west be caused by the differences brought about be the Germanic tribes settling in Western Europe and that culture clash between the more Greek east and the more latinized/Germanic west
>>
File: laughing finn.jpg (42KB, 600x400px)
laughing finn.jpg
42KB, 600x400px
>russian """""army"""""
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.