[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did people refer to the Germans as "The Hun" in WW1?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: 1479012513501.jpg (40KB, 220x393px) Image search: [Google]
1479012513501.jpg
40KB, 220x393px
Why did people refer to the Germans as "The Hun" in WW1?
>>
Allied/Entente propaganda compared them to the Huns due to their ravaging of Europe.
>>
>>2062841
Wilhelm said they should be as fierce as the Huns in putting down the boxer rebellion, so yet agains Wilhelm's autism fucking him over
>>
>>2062866
Rape of Belgium and all.
>>
File: German Empire Field Drills.jpg (1009KB, 4177x1505px) Image search: [Google]
German Empire Field Drills.jpg
1009KB, 4177x1505px
>>2062841
The Boxer Rebellion speech given by Willy.
>You know full well that you are to fight against a cunning, brave, well-armed, and cruel enemy. When you encounter him, know this: no quarter will be given. Prisoners will not be taken. Exercise your arms such that for a thousand years no Chinese will dare to look cross-eyed at a German. Maintain discipline. May God’s blessing be with you, the prayers of an entire nation and my good wishes go with you, each and every one. Open the way to civilization once and for all! Now you may depart! Farewell, comrades!”

Basically Wilhelm II was raving that his troops ought to "be like Huns" to the Chinese - rebel & civilian alike- and they did so.

To be fair, the Japanese contingent of the 8 Nation Alliance was a right bunch of assholes as well, but the German atrocities in China horrified the other western Allies since they were white.

Wilhelm II is basically one of those kinds of leaders who are undiplomatic as fuck that whatever they say comes back to haunt them & their states decades later.
>>
>>2063751
>the German atrocities in China horrified the other western Allies
Not really. German troops behaved pretty much the same as all others.

Or can you back up supposedly extraordinary cruelty with some evidence? If so you should probably publish about it.
>>
File: 1478792617673.jpg (68KB, 587x663px) Image search: [Google]
1478792617673.jpg
68KB, 587x663px
>>2062954
>>2062955
This
>>
Because the Asiatic tinge in the blood of the German race is undeniable.
>>
There's a legend that some german soldiers had "Gott mitt uns" engraved on their belts, and upon stumbling on these words, the French and British joked that they had been met with proof that they were fighting the "Huns" (from "uns") but it apparently spun out of control.
>>
>>2064931
>German troops behaved pretty much the same as all others
Not him, but Germany and Russia, in particular, were called out by the Japanese and Americans for raping and bayonetting children. The other Western powers looted, but they didn't commit large atrocities. The Japanese did not loot at all during the Boxer War. There's actually quite a bit written about this, so I don't know why it would be special for him to publish on it. It's included in pretty much every book and journal article on the Boxer War. Go pick up The Great Game and Boxer Rebellion in China by David Silbey. It's the best book I've read on it.
>>
>>2066922
>The other Western powers looted, but they didn't commit large atrocities.
How about you cite examples of such atrocities by the Germans and the Russians?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.