/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Urban design evolution as a model for communism/capitalism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: downtoon.png (2MB, 1915x803px) Image search: [Google]
downtoon.png
2MB, 1915x803px
Anyone here study urban design?

I've been doing some reading and I've noticed that urban design (theory, at least) follows with how people view communism/capitalism

1. Beginning of the industrial revolution, capitalism is at full blast. Cities are a mess, dirty, crowded and somewhat grim
2. theorists (Howard, Olmsted) propose some more coherent zoning and greening of the cities as methods to make these urban spaces more desirable
3. some guys take the meme too far (La corbusier) and idealize cities that are zoned for efficiency and driving, prescribed green space and skyscrapers.
4. you get shit like Broadacre city which is super zoned out and spread out cuz muh communication and ease of transportation, but it's grossly inefficient and a blight, but you also get people like Dorothy Hayden who think of shit like communal living because it's not sexist
5. then you start to get the less pragmatic ways back again, with people pushing for more street culture and community involvement to get the most out of everything. Bigger cities = more eco friendly. More public places to interact. A more enjoyable city life.

I'm not necessarily capitalist or communist, but does what I'm saying kind of follow?
>>
Development isn't linear, though. Cities can radically change and change again based on the activities they're associated with.
>>
>they build cities to be efficient
Yes?

Cities do not work when you do not plan them

t.civil drafter
>>
File: 5.paris.jpg (65KB, 492x414px) Image search: [Google]
5.paris.jpg
65KB, 492x414px
Napoleon got it right
>>
>>2058598
>Planning decades in advance, much less centuries

Good luck with that.
>>
>>2058737
>Planning decades in advance
City planners do this today. Ever heard of a q100 flood? It's a storm system which happens every 100 years, which everything is designed to withstand.

We already plan for 10 - 100 years ahead of time. Hell, most city planning jobs take up to 10 years just to get through fucking council.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.