[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writing academic papers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 116055-004-AA260E26.jpg (24KB, 536x450px) Image search: [Google]
116055-004-AA260E26.jpg
24KB, 536x450px
Is there anybody here on /his/ who has experience writing academic papers?

I'm asking because I'd like to get my name on a paper before I leave undergrad. I'm entering senior year. I can do it for political science or history (dual major) and have a wide variety of historical interests. I can't seem, though, to settle on a topic. Not only that, but I only speak English and Spanish. My studies focus on Modern Europe (and Rome as a hobby/personal focus), but I don't have much experience with Spanish history or politics. Not much interest.

How did you choose yours, if you did? This may seem like a retarded question but for a beginner, this seems daunting. Thank you to all respond.
>>
Literally no one on /his/ has written an academic paper.

We've just read a shit ton of Wikipedia articles.
>>
>>2058422

I figured as much.

Long time lurker, never really post much. I refuse to believe, though, that there isn't *one* actual historian here on /his/.
>>
>>2058446
When there is he'll make an AMA
>>
>>2058453
It usually goes something like
>History major here AMA
And everyone questions his life choices.
>>
>>2058390
Find something about Spanish history that gives you interest, or at least that appeals to you. I speak German and English, but I fucking hate everything about Germany. I still found something though.
>>
>>2058390
>>2058390
I got my senior seminar thesis published in my schools academic journal. Check and see if your school has their own journal and if they don't, see if they have a chapter in Phi Alpha Theta. If so, you can usually get your senior seminar/thesis published in their monthly(?) journal. I personally wrote mine on German colonialism and labor reform in a particular German colony surrounding a colonial revolt. The biggest things for undergrad publishing are: A.) you want to be interested because you're going to be doing a fuckton of research and if you're not interested it's going to be a serious fucking drag and B.) it has to be quality primary research such that it's a sincere contribution to the historiography. If you do both of these it should be (relatively) easy to get published in an undergrad journal.
>>
>>2058390
You're in undergrad and you've never written an academic paper? How the fuck is this possible?
Are you saying you've never compiled sources and then summarized then, written a paper with annotated foot/end notes and then a bibliography?

Jesus Christ why wouldn't your professors have you do this shit. It is the most important thing going into grad school in this field
>>
>>2058544
He quite obviously means a professional academic paper and not some mid-term bullshit.
>>
>>2058469

I'm probably going to write some shit about Soviet involvement in Spain post-Franco. Yeah, why the fuck not.

>>2058525
Thanks. I'll look into any journal that the school publishes but I don't recall from memory that they have one. I'll take a look.

>>2058544

>It is the most important thing going into grad school in this field.

So is reading comprehension. See: >>2058554
>>
>>2058584
If they don't, they probably have a Phi Alpha Theta chapter (it's a historical honor society). If they do, try to get inducted by the end of this semester and publish next semester. Your school DOES require a senior seminar/senior thesis, correct? It's likely to be your best bet at getting published. If it doesn't... well... you go to a school with a shit history department.
>>
>>2058597

What our school requires is a course called HIS301: Reading and Writing in History. Throughout the semester the student has to write a research paper at least ten pages in length but it has to be on a topic the professor chooses. Of course, being a Western history-oriented scholar, I was assigned the geographical location of the Indian Ocean pre-European contact. The topic was non-negotiable, too. Very shit situation. I was in completely unfamiliar, and uninteresting, waters.

Oh, and for whatever reason,

>I wasn't allowed to focus on Chinese involvement in the Indian Ocean whatsoever

triggered.jpg
>>
>>2058635
That sounds really shitty. What school? Honestly, I'd shoot for a thesis >20 pages double spaced, primary source research, with historiographical contribution. It'll be perfect for a undergrad journal article and at the very least will be something to submit in your grad school applications. You said you're interested in Spanish history, but not well experienced. Do you have any experience with modern Spanish colonialism (i.e. Cuba, Philippines, Morocco, Equatorial Guinea, etc.?). It may be prudent to shift your focus toward these areas and their administration by Peninsulars. It may also help your chances of being published since colonial studies is en vogue right now. Can you read Spanish?
>>
>>2058658

Stony Brook University.

Yeah, if it's a topic I like, I can easily write 20+ pages single spaced.

>It may also help your chances of being published since colonial studies is en vogue right now. Can you read Spanish?

No, for the love of fucking God, no. I'm sick of the colonial studies trend. It was fine for a semester or two but almost every single Topics class is Colonialism this, Colonialism that. The best permutation of this was one of my professors writing a paper about Colonialism on the European Continent concerning the actors of Russia, Austria-Hungary and the German Empire but even then, it's just way too obvious.

I have experience with Spanish colonialism from the American perspective in the American context; I studied for a semester the history of US-Latin American relations and, of course, Spain was a main actor in the 20th century's conclusion so I have a foundation there but . . . It doesn't interest me. I mean, it does, but not enough for independent research. Which sucks, because I can read fluent Spanish.

I'll focus more on Spain from the USSR. Post-Franco Soviet relations and USA relations, etc etc. It's the only thing that I can think of that is remotely interesting to me. And even then,

>can't read Russian
>>
>>2058675
>can't read Russian
That's a serious issue if that's your interest. I'd stick with what you know and since you only know Spanish and English, that means Anglo-Spanish relations or Spanish-American relations. It needs to be extremely focused as well, so it's going to be some sort of niche. Perhaps Spanish-American Relations under Nixon? You'll need to formulate a historical problem under that tiny umbrella. I'd suggest something like: What spurred the dramatic warming of relations (though they were already pretty warm) between Franco and the United States under Nixon?
>>
>>2058469
> but I fucking hate everything about Germany.
Good, so does Angela Merkel
>>
If you're going into senior year of university and you have to ask then chances are grim. Most undergrad programs have independent research/projects where you can get published if your work is really good. Otherwise you'll have to do it in grad school.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.