[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I live a life of virtue? It seems like whenever I try

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Social Animal bw.png (83KB, 806x824px) Image search: [Google]
Social Animal bw.png
83KB, 806x824px
How do I live a life of virtue? It seems like whenever I try to overcome a moral flaw, I feel worse off and gain no benefit and no one else seems to notice or care.
>>
>>2056223
This is why religion is essential for the maintenance of a virtuous life. There is no point to lead such a life without a belief in it reaping something greater for the soul. It just so happens to be that most of the laws in the West are conducive to leading a moral life, but there are still a number of matters left for the individual to decide.

To give an example, if I did not fear for my soul and incurring the displeasure of God, I'd be much more of a debauched man. Besides the obvious repercussions which can be avoided with the appropriate precautions, I would see no reason to keep from sticking my penis in anything that would spread its legs for me. Although I realize what a waste of time and energy it would be, reason does not suffice to grant one's will the strength it needs to resist such alluring traps (take the pun if you like it). God gives man not only a reason to live, but a reason to live virtuously.
>>
Some people are born with virtue, other doesn't. You can't lead life of virtue like you can't lead life of being genius without acutally being one.
>>
>>2056223

Just keep doing it. There is no shortcut in morality, it takes effort to live well but it gets easier and easier the longer you do it.
>>
>>2056373
What if I'm not superstitious? I'm not willing to pretend that God exists to justify being forced to act virtuously against my nature, I want to become virtuous because it is supposed to lead to happiness.
>>
>>2056387
I think arguments liek this are more of a "secret test of characterter" where you are supposed to be clever enough not to fall for it. If the conclusion of your argument is that it is impossible for me to become virtuous, then I am forced to reject your argument, it's not worth holding this to be true if it results in giving up. It's like solipsism, not worth discussing because it is a rhetorical dead end.
>>
File: Panther.jpg (306KB, 675x450px) Image search: [Google]
Panther.jpg
306KB, 675x450px
>>2056223
I think you should come up with the system of positive reinforcement that isn't based around opinion of people who doesn't care about your success.
>>
>>2056510
>I want to become virtuous because it is supposed to lead to happiness.

Who told you this? I guess it doesn't surprise me that someone who thinks faith in God is tantamount to pretending He exists would fall for something so elementary. If a man who is virtuous is also happy, it might be because countless variables in his life are contributing to his happiness, not simply because he can tell himself before going to bed that he's a virtuous man. Even if his virtue is the greatest contribution to his happiness, it is only because he wants to be virtuous and is happy to be doing what he wants. But you want virtue as a means for happiness as opposed to the good inherent to it. If this were not enough for me to call your efforts presently futile, I truly believe that looking for lasting happiness anywhere besides God is like looking for a bear in the sky; if you find one, it will either be transient as the cloud that momentarily assumes its shape, or a hallucination.
>>
>>2056620
Virtue Ethics as described by the Greeks equates development of virtues with happiness and contentment, so I'll take their word for it at the moment over your biased objections.
>>
>>2056373
This fool believes that virtues are inadequate for happiness.

Do not be fooled by him, the greatest joy comes from being virtuous. There is a sense of magnanimity, a sense of worth that which money could not buy. Although not contingent to happiness, you will also find yourself enjoying the fruits of things external to virtues, such as admiration from peers and friends. However, it takes a lot of work and time to become a virtuous person.
>>
>>2056223
>It seems like whenever I try to overcome a moral flaw, I feel worse off and gain no benefit and no one else seems to notice or care.
Your whole perspective is wrong, as those who propose 'virtuous life' consider virtues to be values by themselves, and not valuable just because they lead you to pleasure, which woud be a value in itself.
>I feel worse off
>gain no benefit
>no one else seems to notice or care
So what? If you just accept virtues just as far as they benefit you, you are not an honestly virtuous person.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.