[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A Reason To Crusade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (17KB, 204x204px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 204x204px
So in my history classes, I've been taught that the reason for the first crusade was essentially the Vikings.

Appeantly because the Vikings kept hitting monasteries, soldiers were trained. Then the Vikings up and left (and they were hard to catch anyways) and all these soldiers had no work, so thy bullied the local populous.

So The Pope, being The Pope, created the first Crusade to get rid of this problem. Either A) they all died and the problem was delt with, or B) they captured the Holy Land and killed all the non believers.

Can anyone confirm or deny? How off their rockers are the teachers?
Also general crusade thread I guess.
>>
>>2055725
Sounds like something a highschool teacher would say
>>
Viking Age was completely over at 1095 when Clermont happened. You missed a golden opportunity to humiliate your "teacher".
>>
>>2055725
Are you a Brit?
Is this what British education has come down to?
>>
>>2055725
>the reason

sophomoric
>>
>>2055733
In Brazil "history" highschool teachers are generally sociology/social "science"/anthropology graduates that can't find a job anywhere else, are extremely bitter about muh capitalist society, and "teach" history as well as geography, philosophy and pretty much anything else except science, to fill in the gaps. Their classes consist of denouncing capitalism and Christianity and urging the students to vote for and join their (leftist) political party.

So yes, in my country I would fully expect a highschool teacher to say something like that.
>>
>>2055725
>Can anyone confirm or deny? How off their rockers are the teachers?

Read the actual discourse of the Pope to justify the Crusade, the Crusades were religious in nature, and nobles participated in the Crusades, thus it contradict your thesis.

http://www1.cbn.com/spirituallife/calling-for-the-first-crusade
>>
>>2055725
This is some retarded levels of generalization desu
>>
>>2055725
Most of the Vikings had converted to christianity by the 11th century. The crusades began a generation after the battle of Hastings, by that time the Danes were not a major power anymore and the main source of conflict was rebellious barons and rivalries between dukes the like.

At a stretch your teacher's idea might apply more to the Normans than the Vikings. The Normans managed to project force to Sicily and England and were an influential military power, they considered themselves servants of the pope in Italy for a while.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.