[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Rome the greatest empire to have ever existed? Yes or No?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

Was Rome the greatest empire to have ever existed? Yes or No?

I personally say yes. The cultural influences it had on the world permeate literally everywhere
>>
>>2053899
The empire of Christ? Hah! Where is this god-man? Upon which throne does he sit? Show me this king who rules his domain without horses and steel that I may conquer him.
>>
Persia has a solid claim as well, I believe.
Rome was the greatest republic though, no question
>>
>>2053893

In regards to ancient Empires, absolutely.

Though I would say that the British Empire was pretty amazing
>>
>>2054068
>no question
idk in 2000 years when it has all the hype and romanticism that Rome does now the USA might be a strong contender.
>>
>>2053893

The French empire under Napolean had a greater effect and influence on the worlds current legal infrastructure.

The British empire spawned and spread the industrialism - something so much above anything the Romans ever gave to any nation.

The Mongol empire was the largest landbased empire to have ever existed.

One of the Persian empires encompassed more pecentage of the total worlds populations at any time in history than Rome ever did.
>>
>>2054077
>usa
>republic
>not a pseudo-democratic oligarchy
Yeah sure
>>
>>2054122
Rome was even more of an oligarchy than the US is. They had a rigid distinction between pleb & patrician whereas anyone in America can join the elite if they get enough money or climb the right ladders. Jimmy Carter was a peanut farmer who joined the navy
>>
>>2053893
The Republic was great, the Empire was a ever declinining multiracial and multicultural shithole;
>>
>>2053893
Kind of an arbitrary question.
>>
>>2054132
The Republic was shitty and backwards, and Rome reached its apotheosis during the Empire you retard.

T. Cato and the Optimates
>>
>>2054149
You sound plebeian
>>
File: Christian_Slaughterhouse.jpg (127KB, 1280x719px) Image search: [Google]
Christian_Slaughterhouse.jpg
127KB, 1280x719px
Yes without a doubt. It laid the foundations for future western control over the world. Virtually every relevant european language comes from or is influenced by latin, Rome Is without a doubt the most influential civilization in history.
>>
>>2053893

Rome DEFINED what an empire is, linguistically, culturally and axiologically.

There is no empire that had such a thorough impact in the world, that defined a before and after to it's rule.
>>
>>2053893
Wait for the Anglos to get here.
>>
>>2054129
so the US would be closer to cartage than rome no ?
>>
The Roman state existed for around 2000 years.

I don't care what you think of Imperialism or whatever, that's straight up impressive.
>>
>>2054315
Russia?
>>
>>2054650
No, Carthage was also super stratified, even more so than Rome. Rome was run by a competing gaggle of upper class (and occasionally non-Patrician) leadership while Carthage was run by a strict collection of families who altered between "Oligarch X leads because he's the richest" and "Yeah, the head of our family is the literal King".
>>
>>2054116
take a you my friend ((you))
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.