[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Civil Law vs Common Law

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: mahkeme-hukuk.jpg (132KB, 986x1000px) Image search: [Google]
mahkeme-hukuk.jpg
132KB, 986x1000px
Any Lawyers out there?
Which is your favorite Legal Tradition?
I vote for Common Law, i live in a country ruled by Civil Law and it sucks, the process is slow and it doesn't always conform to ethics or justice, it goes just by positive norms on a Code.
>>
Both have pros and cons tbhwy
>>
>>2053435
Literally textbook example of practicality vs theory
>>
>>2053435
Common law pro: No matter what the legal scholars say, judges can make law at the behest of plaintiffs (ordinary people) in need and keep the system responsive even when the legislature is otherwise gridlocked by abstracted partisan navel gazing.

Common law con: So long as civil lawsuits require money to initiate, decisions will be dominated by the ills of wealthy clients and the solutions will trend toward benefiting them. The jury will always face a stacked deck.

Civil law pro: What the ministers pass is the law, little to no ambiguity or risk of extralegislative change.

Civil law con(sortof): If you can't afford to buy the ministers, you can't play. And elections likewise require an uphill struggle against entrenched capital to enact meaningful change.

Overall winner: Common law, by a nose.
>>
>>2053435

Law student here.

Suspending all practical considerations for the moment, I find the Common Law tradition significantly more interesting in both a storytelling sense (there's some great cases) and in a detached philosophical sense (it aligns closer with my ideal virtue ethics world desu).

On a more practical note I think there's a ton of merit in the robust predictability of Civil Law codes.

I don't know why I'm studying law at all.
>>
>>2053859
What about court interpretations contra legem that become common in practice?
>>
I want to go to law school but I'm unsatisfied with my LSAT score. What's the best way to study in order to get it up?
>>
>>2054703
I'm not an American, so i can't advise you on that.
How does it affect you?
Are you after a scholarship? Is it not good enough to enter the university of your choice?
>>
Scots Law is best Law
>>
>>2054736
I don't disagree.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.