[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language revival

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

What are some examples of language revivals/creations in which constructed languages actually managed to catch on and become living languages?

The fact that Israeli Hebrew not only became a thing, but a national language widely spoken today seems mindboggling to me. How was this possible?
>>
It was either that, English, or Yiddish, and they weren't too happy with England and Germany at the time.
>>
>>2044232
Herzl, the father of Zionism, thought they would use German and Yiddish. Though he was Austrian, so you would see why he would think that.

English was never in the running as the language of Israel. Before the revival of Hebrew, the movement was leaning towards Yiddish/German. French also had a very important place in Zionism because the wealthiest Jewish families were French, and the French Empire used Jews as magistrates over the Muslims.
>>
basque and catalan
not that they ever totally disappeared but were forbidden under Franco
>>
>>2043273
Finnish I guess. Modern Finnish was constructed from 3 diffrent dead finnish languages back in the 1800s.
Back in the 1800s only people who spoke finnish were old people. With the rise of nationalism some spergs decided they werent Swedish or Russian so they started to study the old dying language, modernised it and combined it with other finnish tribe languages. The dominant language of that time was Swedish and Russia was ruling the lands to they didnt see any point in stopping the nationalist surge of turning the people into Finnish speakers. The less reason the Finns had to going back to Sweden the better.
>>
>>2044287
>Finnish I guess. Modern Finnish was constructed from 3 diffrent dead finnish languages back in the 1800s.
Weren't modern Italian and mandarin Chinese similarly smashed together by combining several regional dialects?
>>
>>2043273

Nationalism made it possible. I think Bahasa Indonesia is also a national language that has roots in a "natural" language but was for the most part constructed by the nationalist movement in the early 20th century.
>>
>>2044287
{{citation-needed}}
>>
>>2043273
Hebrew is the only one.

Ye Olde Testament was written in very ancient times in the ancestral language of the Judeans. By 100 BC, the time of the Roman Empire and the New Testament, Hebrew was a dead language replaced by Syriac and Greek.

The Jews continued to use Hebrew in their religion, and Jewish scholars generation after generation mastered the language, and it was the language of all things Judaic. The Jewish dialects of the diaspora (Yiddish, Ladino, Judeo-Arabic, et cetera), were Judaised versions of the demotic languages of where they lived (German, Spanish, Arabic).

When the international diaspora of world Jewry came together to re-settle Israel, they decided instead of using Hebraised dialects of other nations' dialects, they'd all just come together and speak the language of the word of God.

Again, Jewish scholars and academics have always been balls deep in it, so they just reconstructed the language and taught it in schools to immigrants from all over the world who didn't share a common language.

It's the only way a Jew from Minsk, a Jew from Marrakech and a Jew from Munich could converse.
>>
File: lataus (6).jpg (15KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
lataus (6).jpg
15KB, 225x225px
>>2044287
This is flatout wrong. Finnish language was well and alive. The administratice languages in Finland under russian rule Were swedish and finnish. True, it was most often spoken by the lower class since swedish was preferred in administration but it was nowhere near dying out. You're probably mixing the status of written and spoken finnish. It was never dying out as a spoken language but it's written status was worst in 19th century. It was mostly used as written language in religious texts.

So TL:DR: (((citation needed)))
>>
>>2043273
Cyrillic.
>>
I guess it was possible because it was actually practical
>>
As much as people like to hate on it, Esperanto's doing pretty good for a conlang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzDS2WyemBI

Also you could say that sign languages are "constructed" languages in some sense and they are also quite healthy
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.