[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wine in the ancient world and middle ages?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: wines1.jpg (202KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wines1.jpg
202KB, 1920x1200px
What kind did people drink in the ancient world? It seems that in most movies the Romans seem to be drinking red wine, is this true?

What kind of wine would Jesus be drinking? Alexander the great? Cyrus the great? Machiavelli?

What about other places in the world?

Decided to give wine a try and since my autism demands it, I shall be drinking the wine(atleast the same color) of "my" ancestors.
>>
>>2042092
Not sure about colour, but most of the Mediterranean drank wine.

Mead, beer, ciders and ales are more common among snowniggers

Aztecs fermented agave sap to make pulque, and also made alcoholic drinks from cactus fruit.

Beer made from millet in north east asia as well as rice based drinks.

South east africans made beer from lala palm and also sorghum, west africans made some kind of palm wine too

Polynesians drink kava, that isn't actually alcoholic but contains kavalactones that also bind to GABA receptors, like alcohol.
>>
>>2042092
In the ancient Mediterranean world people would mix their red wine in large krater jars with water to massively dilute them. Drinking undiluted wine was the sign of being a barbarian, for which Macedonians were maligned.
>>
>>2042258
Actually, the dilution wasn't that massive. At most you'd get 3:1 water to wine, which is the "pregnant women and sick people" amount. Normal varied from about 1:2 to 1:1, IIRC.
>>
>>2042092
Red wine, but it was ghastly because they didn't have preservatives. So they had to put a shittonne of spices and such in it to make it tolerable.
There was some historical cooking show in Rome where the guy used a traditional recipe to make wine and no one was crazy about it.
>>
File: leila.jpg (21KB, 396x250px) Image search: [Google]
leila.jpg
21KB, 396x250px
>>2042277
Is the wine we have from bottles undiluted? Have you tasted this diluted wine?
>>
>>2044003
Cato the Elder, in On Agriculture, gives a recipe for a type of wine that was popular from Greece that was diluted with sea water. I tried to make a bit (using some sea salt mixed into regular water) and it was . . . interesting. Not bad, but not terribly good either.
>>
>>2044266
Yea, i think that might have been it. Obviously it had to be somewhat tolerable for them to drink it, but yea, not a preference anymore.
"Eating History: Italy" was the show. Can't find a stream for it, but a damn good series.
>>
>>2042092
you gotta realize wine is just fermented fruit, sugar, and yeast.

after all the historical analysis you would assume they just fermented whatever was in season that particular season
>>
>>2044382
and fruits have natural sugar within themsevles before you go bitching about sugar cane plantations
>>
>>2042250
Glanced and saw,

>Polynesians drink lava, that isn't actually alcoholic...

MFW
>>
>>2044265
yeah the stuff people drink now is undiluted and the Romans would call you a barbarian for drinking it. if Romans drank unmixed wine their society would of collapsed in mass drunkenness, they drank wine even at breakfast and ate bread dipped in wine.
>>
>>2042092
>What kind of wine would Jesus be drinking?
WATER
A
T
E
R
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.