[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the difference between YHWH, El, El-Shaddai, and Elohim?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: huh.jpg (27KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
huh.jpg
27KB, 308x308px
What is the difference between YHWH, El, El-Shaddai, and Elohim?
>>
>>2041728
YHWH according to the bible is Elohim's proper actual name. Like how your name isn't anon, it's Jim or something.

The rest are basically just titles, like "the lord" or "the father" as we'd use in English.
>>
>>2041742
Thanks

So what's up with other gods in the region called El? Was it just because they used the same semitic word for their local god?
>>
>>2041791
Probably a combination of local linguistic similarities and Judaism having roots in local pre-Abrahamic religion.
>>
>>2041791

IIRC, "El" means something akin to "highest" or "foremost", and Shaddai has something to do with power or legions or might.

I'm pretty sure they're just titles for whatever was the chief god, because it quite literally (in context) meant "The biggest most important god". Probably got tacked onto the Yahweh cult, because to them, he was the big chief god.
>>
>>2041728
Elohim is Eloh (god, cognate with Arabic 'illah, and Aramaic 'aloh) with the plural -im added. In this case, it is generally believed to be an honorific suffix, but some Alexandrian Jews and Christian exegetes have suggested it means a plurality of persons, such as God and the holy spirit, or the trinity. Other posters have spoken of El and El-Shaddai, I would also like to posit that El is just another way of saying "Eloh", although El is also used to designate a chief God. I personally think that YHWH is among the more original aspects of Judaism, and that the Jewish god, probably derived from a Canaanite God, gradually accrued these titles, or perhaps it was the other way around.

You didn't ask about it, but Ba'al is simply "lord" in Ugaritic and Phoenician, although it was like El, used to designate a specific god.
>>
>>2041728

YHWH is the Hebrew God
El is the Canaanite God
El Shaddai means "God of the mountain", might refer to the mount Abraham climbed to sacrifice Isaac
Elohim is the plural of God, but can be used as a singular
>>
Why didn't Jesus address God the father or himself by any of these names?
>>
>>2042146
Actually, Jesus was into the mosaic rituals(reading scrolls, participating in festivities and stuff), so Christ probably called God like that in synagogue.
But Jesus's language was aramaic, to begin with, so...
>>
>>2042058
El shaddai is used to refer to God, translated as Most High.
>>
who the fuck is hashem?
>>
>>2042503

Literally "The name", as a euphamism for one of the actual divine names.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.