[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WW1 Reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: westernfront.jpg (23KB, 211x346px) Image search: [Google]
westernfront.jpg
23KB, 211x346px
Hey /his

Anyone recommend any well done nonfiction on the Western Front? Particularly Verdun, the Marne, or the Somme.
>>
Bump for interest
>>
The Good Soldier Švejk
>>
>>2042529
>nonfiction
Sorry, didn't notice.
>>
>>2041689
Ernst Junger's Storm of Steel. It's a novel, but it's basically a transcription of his journal.
Served as a model for Remaque too.
>>
>>2041689
How the fuck is that book non-fiction?
>>
>>2041689
Henri Barbusse's Under Fire was a good read, the "Le Feu" chapter was the one with all the details of trench warfare.
>>
>>2041689
The Price of Glory, by Alistair Horne
>>
>>2042542
This, bastard got wounded 14 times, still got over 100 years old, took LSD together with Hoffmann himself and went to a conference with French writers wearing his pour le merite.
>>
>>2042742
I see you've been reading r/til.
>>
>>2041689
You should read Storm of steel. Its a book by Ernst Jünger. He signed up in 1914 and fought all the way up to August 1918. Afterwards he went on to write a few books, some not available in English as far as i know. He was an officer in Paris during the Second World War and afterwards, believe in the 60's following his rehabilitation in German Literature, he lived a pretty cushy life up until his death in 1998 aged 102. His house is a mini museum i believe. There is a Stahlhelm of his that has a shrapnel hole in it present in the house.
>>
>>2042546
>How the fuck is that book non-fiction?

Welcome to /his/.
>>
File: Storm_In_Flanders.jpg (124KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
Storm_In_Flanders.jpg
124KB, 500x750px
A Storm in Flanders was excellent. I learned a lot about the Battles of Ypres and it does an excellent job of showing the horrors of the war, the decisions by high command and the common soldiers.
>>
Scarlet Fields, story of the ultimate badass John Lewis Barkley
>>
File: Ma Grande Guerre.jpg (121KB, 400x497px) Image search: [Google]
Ma Grande Guerre.jpg
121KB, 400x497px
Personally I really liked Ma Grande Guerre, from Gaston Lavy.

Between 1914 and late 1917 Lavy wrote and drew about his daily life on the frontline.
Although not in a first rate unit due to his age, he saw his share of action, notably at Verdun where his unit was at the beginning of the German offensive, before being sent to Versailles in the French army camouflage section.

AFAIK the book is only available in French but it's not too costly and the wonderful illustrations speak for themselves.
>>
"Journey to the end of the night", by Louis-Ferdinant Céline.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.