[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend / Review / Share Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 6

File: franco.jpg (23KB, 452x658px) Image search: [Google]
franco.jpg
23KB, 452x658px
Got anything to rec/rev/share? Books and documentaries allowed. Memes too.

>The Franco-Prussian War: The German Conquest of France in 1870-1871 by Geoffrey Wawro

The Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71 violently changed the course of European History. Alarmed by Bismarck's territorial ambitions and the Prussian army's crushing defeats of Denmark in 1864 and Austria in 1866, French Emperor Napoleon III vowed to bring Prussia to heel. Digging into many European and American archives for the first time, Geoffrey Wawro's Franco-Prussian War describes the war that followed in thrilling detail. While the armies mobilized in July 1870, the conflict appeared "too close to call." Prussia and its German allies had twice as many troops as the French. But Marshal Achille Bazaine's grognards ("old grumblers") were the stuff of legend, the most resourceful, battle-hardened, sharp-shooting troops in Europe, and they carried the best rifle in the world. From the political intrigues that began and ended the war to the bloody battles at Gravelotte and Sedan and the last murderous fights on the Loire and in Paris, this is the definitive history of the Franco-Prussian War

Very nice book. Gives you background on the political situation of both countries (France was a fucked up mix of Royalists, Republicans, Bonapartistes and Anarcho-Communistes), the technological breakthroughs applied during the war (Chasepot ftw!) and military strategies, which for the french was basically
>we have a nice defensive position, let them attack first
>oh no, they're too strong, fall back
>rinse and repeat

link here
>https://u.nya.is/niyhgk.azw3
>>
>Morning in America: How Ronald Reagan Invented the 1980s by Gil Troy

>Did America's fortieth president lead a conservative counterrevolution that left liberalism gasping for air? The answer, for both his admirers and his detractors, is often "yes." In Morning in America, Gil Troy argues that the Great Communicator was also the Great Conciliator. His pioneering and lively reassessment of Ronald Reagan's legacy takes us through the 1980s in ten year-by-year chapters, integrating the story of the Reagan presidency with stories of the decade's cultural icons and watershed moments-from personalities to popular television shows.

Decent book for a quick intro, covers all areas without going too indepth into any one. Really quick read, since the 2nd half of the book is just bibliography and shit you can ignore.

Link:
>https://u.nya.is/stwfka.epub
>>
File: reeeeee.jpg (59KB, 710x1080px) Image search: [Google]
reeeeee.jpg
59KB, 710x1080px
>>2040998
yeah, I forgot the pic
>>
>>2040986
>most resourceful, battle-hardened, sharp-shooting troops

From what experience? The only real experience I can recall between the Crimean War and the Franco-Prussian War is the French intervention in Mexico and some colonial squabbles in Africa and the Far East.
>>
>>2041009
>some colonial squabbles in Africa

He's referring to those, basically the french conquest of most of western africa. The argument was that, while they weren't fighting a trained and organised enemy, they were experts at marching and deploying, setting up supply lines in hostile territory, and basically lived the life of an extended war campaign, they weren't sitting at home and getting drunk all day.
>>
This book, It's a pretty good roundup of the Spanish conquests ranging from the explaining of the political situation, competition and personal mindsets of such people like Cortés. It's rather old so you might have to do some digging if you actually wanna read it.
>>
Can someone recommend me a book about 16th and early 17th century warfare? Preferably with a lot of pictures.
>>
File: ErnestRenan.jpg (122KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ErnestRenan.jpg
122KB, 800x1000px
>>2040986
>The Franco-Prussian War

Very interesting war, and very influential on the West as we see it today. It was partly because of this war and the troubles concerning Alsace-Lorraine that led Ernest Renan to develop upon the idea of Civic Nationalism which as we all know became the leading form of nationalism especially after ww2 when ethnic nationalism was frowned upon and propagandized against.

This shift has proven almost fatal for the West since Civic Nationalism allows for the ethnic make up and homogeneity of a nation to be broken down, thus destroying the nation and its culture.

Very interesting and very sad.
>>
File: IMG_0282.jpg (433KB, 1143x813px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0282.jpg
433KB, 1143x813px
>>2040986
Economy of cities , by Jane Jacobs.
>>2041159
>Poland and England have anything in common

I've always hated that stupid term.
>>
File: IMG_0284.jpg (49KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0284.jpg
49KB, 480x640px
>>2041159
>At the time of the French revolution in 1789 it is estimated that only half of the population of France could speak any French, and as late as 1871 only a quarter spoke French as their native language.

>Civic Nationalism which as we all know became the leading form of nationalism especially after ww2 when ethnic nationalism was frowned upon and propagandized against

You have a board where realities and facts are ignored. Go back there, if you aren't capable of serious arguementation.
>>
>>2041197
btw, this is still the case today in Italy. Not that extreme, but still. I had a couple of roommates from Calabria, and they spoke italian as their second language, which they started learning in school. At home they spoke their dialect, which is pretty different from italian. I imagine even further south, in Sicily, this phenomenon is even stronger.

BTW, same thing happens in Norway, every region has a very different dialect, and some have to struggle to understand others.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.