[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sword ownership in the Middle Ages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

I heard in medieval France and England, you couldn't carry around swords and indeed when you walked into town, going into an inn, had to relinquish them to the innkeeper until you planned to move out of the town in the morning.

Were there any states in Yurop that allowed indefinite sword possession? And why did you have to relinquish your weapon to the town authorities?
>>
>>2032833
I'm not too familiar with what you're talking about, but I am sure that plenty of states outside of the Holy Roman Empire and medieval France did not have any arm bearing laws.

If they did make you relinquish them, it seems like a good measure against violence breaking out. If everybody is unarmed - or at least not openly carrying - in an environment filled with alcohol then less fights would break out. Fist fights feel very risky compared to if you had a sword, spear, poleaxe or whatever to hide behind.
>>
>>2034883
hes making a shit analogy to guns. good on your gun morale though
>>
>>2032833
You ask that like premodern states had a single law code instead of local customs.
>>
>>2032833
The reason they made a specific rule that you had to relinquish your sword to the innkeeper is because everyone was carrying one.
>>
>>2032833
Also, banditry was so rife in England in the middle ages (Robin Hood times) that there are accounts by Europeans who visited who were amazed that FARMERS would have a sword, a dagger, and sometimes even a long spear or a longbow with them just as they were ploughing their fields. In those days it was like having your AR-15 slung around your neck to go the supermarket, because if you didn't then a bunch of forest niggas would jack you and take your crops/wallet
>>
>>2032833
Yesnomaybe. Owning swords was often mandatory by law or traditions for free men. Carrying them was often needed and for some folks also a sign of status. However, when you enter somebody else's home, it is good manners to hand over your weapons to your host because you are a protected guest as soon as you step over the doorstep.
Towns are a bit different, out of towner where not allowed to carry weapons normally, citizens usually preferred a dagger or baselard to a full sized swords, because the place is safer, and you got work to do.
>>
>>2032833
Might be talking out my ass but weren't swords perfectly legal in England i know they encouraged citizens to practice with the longbow at least.

Wales and Scotland on the other hand defiantly banned...
>>
>>2036750
Actually it was mandatory to own one for free men in 13th century England.
>>
>>2032833
As far as I know there were only rules in regard to carrying weapons within city walls. In the countryside you were expected to be armed since it was bandit-territory.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.