[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exactly why were they not Germanised like the Prussians?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 800px-Medieval_Livonia_1260.svg.png (271KB, 800x866px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Medieval_Livonia_1260.svg.png
271KB, 800x866px
Exactly why were they not Germanised like the Prussians?
>>
>>2032318
They were, until the Russians came. Walking around Riga the roads would be paved with cobblestones and lined with trees, the houses would be made of brick and stone. You'd only know you weren't in Germany because of the language.
>>
>>2032388
But why didn't they all end up actually speaking German like in Prussia and Pomerania?
>>
>>2032318
>Mariana
?
>>
>>2032388
Also Sweden.

>>2032464
I think there was some rule about Crusades only being allowed for defending the Christian land so the people came up with some bullshit about the Baltic being the land of saint Mary so he could declare a crusade against them.
>>
>>2032318

Because in Prussia, there was also colonization by German peasants which resulted in the Germanization of the rural areas (which made up the bulk of the population). In the Baltics, Germans were only nobles and townsfolk.
>>
>>2032429
The germans embodied latvian nationalism later in the run(speaking about Latvian territory)
>>
>>2035125
This, no krauts lived in rural areas(where latvians did) and when russkia came krauts fucked off
>>
>>2036985
The most baltic german families staid till the 20th and only only left when they had to because of Soviet policies and not when the Russian first enter es the baltiscs in the nordic wars
>>
File: Lithuanian 1919.jpg (146KB, 651x960px) Image search: [Google]
Lithuanian 1919.jpg
146KB, 651x960px
Language. Which carries culture.
Applies to all three.
>>
>>2037011
Local Germans felt pressure when Baltic states became independent. Mass repatriation was arranged by Hitler in 1939. It started before annexation to USSR and continued after.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.