[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The "Historical Gap" Argument

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 78975860e3dd6a455b995fa3466f8893.jpg (101KB, 1000x638px) Image search: [Google]
78975860e3dd6a455b995fa3466f8893.jpg
101KB, 1000x638px
This was, for me, what got me settled firmly on Orthodoxy as opposed to Catholicism. You simply can't refute it. The Historical Gap Argument says that the Catholic Church's notion of the Early Church as being a single, corporate structure united under the authoritarian totalitarian leadership of the Pope of Rome as Christ's Vicar on Earth doesn't hold weight simply because no one from the Early Church mentions it. We see this version of Christianity first referred too really in the sixth century, and only really beginning to take off in the seventh. Up until then, there are only a couple-dozen references from the same guys about the Church looking like this, quotes that Catholics love to float about, but that simply don't erase the hundreds of thousands of writings we have from then that DON'T mention it. This would not have been a minor issue to be glossed over. This would not have been just the talk of the day. It would have defined Christianity at its core, as a very religion. And yet, it simply doesn't seem to pop up, except for in a couple dozen or so isolated references that you'll find Catholics shouting everywhere. What we DO seem to find plastered everywhere is the notion of the Church as a disorganized, locally-focused religion united under the tutorship of the Local Bishop, equal to all other Bishops, which is the structure of the Orthodox Church right up until the present day. When presented with this argument, the Catholic will usually simply claim that there was no point in pointing out the obvious, that it was so obvious that the Church was like that that no one ever felt the need to notice it - an argument, in other words, that amounts to a steaming pile of horseshit. If not, they'll say that it actually WAS the way The Orthodox claim it was, but "Jesus didn't intend it to be like that" in other words an even oozier pile of horseshit. If you really do believe that the Early Church looked like that, please tell me why I can't read about it.
>>
>>2026517
The primacy of Rome did not exist until after the fall of the Western empire, the patriarch of Constantinople was the first among equals, including Rome.

Even the Catholic church teaches this.

I stopped reading your post after that.
>>
File: 1470083718694.jpg (41KB, 450x327px) Image search: [Google]
1470083718694.jpg
41KB, 450x327px
>>2026517
>blahblahblah
An image is worth a thousand words.
/thread
>>
>>2026517
WE
>>
>>2026517
Learn how to make a paragraph instead of just sperging out a text block.
>>
File: 1480491447095.jpg (96KB, 641x529px) Image search: [Google]
1480491447095.jpg
96KB, 641x529px
>>2026517
>>
File: 1477363121801.jpg (117KB, 771x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1477363121801.jpg
117KB, 771x1000px
Boo! Hoo! Yhwh akbar!
Yhwh akbar? Boo woo hoo!

Yhwh Yhwh Yhwh akbar!
Bar bar Yhwh? Ak ak bar!
>>
it's not a fucking totalitarian authoritarian fascist structure like that, the chair of st. peter just has the last say on disagreements. if the pope sneezes half of christendom notices it. he's obviously the leader and anybody claiming otherwise is some kind of revolutionary.
>>
File: Yahu.jpg (58KB, 581x411px) Image search: [Google]
Yahu.jpg
58KB, 581x411px
Oo-ga boo-ga Yahu akbar!
Yahu akbar? Ooga-boolgly-doo!
>>
>>2026517
well, fun thing is, catholicism is beginning to acknowledge that as well.
See it defining itself as a communion of 24 sui juris Juris churches, and most of all the document produced 2 months ago, which pretty much acknowledges what you say.
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/ch_orthodox_docs/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_20160921_sinodality-primacy_en.html
>>
>>2026517
Funny how you can selectively apply historical criticism to this one very specific aspect of the history of the early church, yet you can't apply the same criticism to bible, specially the OT.
>>
>>2026542
>>2026557
Please kill yourself
>>
>>2026593
You can't apply the same criticim because there is no such gap
>>
>>2026653
Except for that fact that OT history is largely fictitious, and it's supposed inspired by an omniscient God. So there's your gap
>>
>>2026672
if the old testament is all wrong then you've thrown a ton of ancient history into the garbage. you're just biased, settle down
>>
>>2026672
euphoric
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.