[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About the Sadducees

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Finnish-architecture.jpg (1MB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
Finnish-architecture.jpg
1MB, 2272x1704px
Why is it that the Sadducees did not believe in the existence, when the Old Testament has a number of occasions when angels appear (the three messengers with Abraham and Lot; the various angelic/spirit beings who attend to Yawheh's throne in Isaiah and Ezekiel, among other examples)?

I can see why they did not believe in the afterlife, since the Hebrew OT does not mention or even imply an afterlife or a coming judgment, but descriptions and references to angels are plentiful in it.
>>
>>2008941

Hard to say, given that as far as I'm aware, there are no Sadducee theological documents surviving, and the closest we get to such is Josephus; pretty much all we know about Sadducee beliefs comes from their rivals and enemies.

You may as well ask why they didn't believe in any sort of oral transmission either, when the Pentateuch makes reference to things supposedly told by God that don't make it into the pages. I don't know what it was, but it was probably at least coherent enough to sway the support of a lot of the upper class of Jerusalem.
>>
>>2008968
don't know what verses you are refering to, but it might have simply not been in Sadducees torahs. much of the documents were decided already, but there were still fluctuations influenced by differing beliefs. see the Samaritan torah and the dead sea scrolls
>>
>>2008994

The two most obvious (although there are probably some more if I stop and think about it) are

Deuteronomy 24:1-5, the stuff about divorce; which implicitly allows for laws of marriage, which are never actually laid out.

Second one is also in Deuteronomy, 12:21, which makes reference to slaughtering animals "as I have commanded you", when again, there are no verses in the Pentateuch that mention slaughtering methods.

I'm admittedly not an expert on what the Sadducees believed, but I'm pretty sure they accepted a Deuteronomy that was more or less the same as the Masoretic version.
>>
>>2008941
torah is not the old testament

they only follow the the 5 books
>>
>>2008941
Sadducees only used the Torah, they considered the rest as heretic garbage.
>>
>>2009040
the earliest masoretic text we have dates to 826 AD. I'm not sure how we could establish that the Sadducees used a masoretic text or something close to it
>>
>>2011810
I think that's the Samaritans who reject the other books in the old testament being authoritative. Sadduccees just rejected the oral torah
>>
>>2011814
this

and by torah it is the written torah (5 books of Moses) as stated by Moses, and not the talmud or other heretical imitations

it all debunks the claims of babylonian imposters posing as Jews
>>
>>2011827
yep, as stated by Moses in the 1400s B.C. before hebrew even existed as a language
>>
>>2011840
>before hebrew even existed as a language
Wew lad

What is Sinaitic ?
>>
>>2011847
The Sinaitic script is not hebrew, it's a precursor
>>
>>2011854
to the Hebrews it is Hebrew

to the ignorant heretics it is a precursor
>>
>>2011854
>Show proofs
>THESE AREN'T PROOFS EVIL FUNDIE BIGOTED NAZI CHRISTOFASCIST

Wew lad

You should read Albright it will enligh you
>>
>>2011862
you might as well be saying that phoenician, aramaic and ugaritic are hebrew too then.
>>
>>2011866
I didn't hurl any insults. he is fundamentally misunderstanding the evidence is my point. the proto-sinaitic script is a precursor to hebrew and also many other related languages, such as Phoenician. it's as though he is claiming that a surviving latin manuscript is proof that someone during roman times wrote a document in italian
>>
>>2011871
>olde english has more differences with modern english than hebrew has with phoenician

they are indeed just dialects

According to Glottolog, referencing Huehnergard & Rubin (2011), Ammonite, Phoenician, Moabite, Edomite was not a distinct language from Hebrew, but a Hebraic dialect

The main features distinguishing Moabite from fellow Canaanite languages such as Hebrew are: a plural in -în rather than -îm (e.g. mlkn "kings" for Biblical Hebrew məlākîm); retention of the feminine ending -at which Biblical Hebrew reduces to -āh (e.g. qryt "town", Biblical Hebrew qiryāh) but retains in the construct state nominal form (e.g.qiryát yisrael "town of Israel"); and retention of a verb form with infixed -t-

From a traditional linguistic perspective, Phoenician was a variety of the Canaanite languages.[3][4] However, due to the very slight differences in language, and the insufficient records of the time, whether Phoenician formed a separate and united dialect, or was merely a superficially defined part of a broader language continuum, is unclear
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.